Taco terrier is not a purebred and is mixed between Chihuahua and Toy Fox Terrier. The dog is tiny in size but has a heart of a lion. It is too bold and courageous for its size. It is very devoted family dog and generally gets attached with one owner in family who is in charge of its food and exercise.
The dog is self-sufficient and can entertain itself. It rather loves to sit beside you instead of on your lap.
It can be of aggressiveness of Chihuahua breed but in general is a sweet tempered breed. It makes great watchdog as it is suspicious of strangers. It is lively and high spirited with a carefree attitude.
Like Chihuahua, it is territorial and cannot stand the sight of any other animal inside home. Early socialization is must for the breed to grow into a tolerable adult dog. As the dog is hypoallergenic, it is perfect for person suffering from asthma, allergy or sinus issue.
Taco Terrier Origin
It is a designer that was particularly bred for companionship. It is result of cross matting Chihuahua with Toy Fox Terrier. Chihuahua belongs to Mexico. It was developed by cross mating Chinese hairless dog with native Mexican breeds. Chihuahua is a brave, daring and confident breed.
Toy fox terrier was developed by cross mating smaller Smooth Fox Terriers with varied toy breeds. This breed was bred for hunting rodents as well as for companionship purpose.
Taco Terrier Characteristics
- The breed is a cross mate between Chihuahua and Toy Fox Terrier.
- Average height of the breed is 6 to 10 inches.
- Weight of the breed is 7 to 10 pounds.
- It has a single coat which is short and easy to groom.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog thrives in a human companionship and should not be left alone.
- It barks occasionally especially at new people.
- It is not an animal friendly dog.
- The dog tends to be dominant with small children.
- It is an excellent dog for urban lifestyle and apartment dwellers.
- The dog is moderately easy to train.
- Lifespan of the dog is 13-15 years.
- It cannot survive in cold areas.
- Average cost of the dog is $300 – $400 USD.
- The dog comes in black, red, white, brindle, brown and black-tan color.
The dog resembles more like a Chihuahua. It is tiny in size but has a muscular built up body. The dog has large pointed ears, just like Chihuahua. Few dogs also tend to have floppy ears. Comparing to its body, its ears are highly disproportionate. It has buttoned shape eyes that are expressive. Colors of the eyes are dark brown or hazel. Its tail can be either docked or long.
Size and Weight
The ideal size of the dog is 6 to 10 inches. It weighs around 7 to 10 pounds.
Coat and Color
It has a single coat just like Chihuahua. Its coat is short, straight and should lie flat to its body. Coat should be coarse to touch. The dog comes in many colors like black, red, white, brindle, brown and black-tan color.
- Personality – It is an affectionate and devoted family dog. The dog is unaware of its size and can take up fight with other dogs. It is brave and courageous. The dog is smart and is always in playful mood. It loves to play with its toys. An adult child who knows how to respect dog’s boundary is good for the dog. With small children, they tend to dominate and play roughly. The dog needs human companionship throughout its life. It can develop neurotic behavior, if left unattained or in solitude for longer duration of time. The dog love to sleep next to you or on you. In comparison to Chihuahua it is a good mannered breed but some tends to show aggression. With right training they can be complement to your family.
- Behavior – The dog is highly energetic. If you are looking for a stable dog, then this dog is not for you. This breed makes great pet to active owners who have flexible work schedule. This breed wants your love and time to thrive. They make excellent watchdog as they are wary of strangers. The dog never gets tired of playing and exercise. It is also protective in nature and caring towards the person he is inclined towards. The dog doesn’t like water, so bathing it can be a tedious task. Make sure to make it habitual of water when it is at puppy stage.
- Activities Requirement – The dog likes to be a part of family activities. Wherever you go, whatever you do, include your dog in it. It loves to play with balls and fetch games are its favorite. Keep your dog out of water area because it cannot swim and is afraid of water. If you have a backyard, the dog can entertain itself and play. But if you don’t have, then take your dog for evening walk. The exercise needs of the dog are simple.
- Trainability – It is moderately easy to train but patience is the key to teach the dog skills. Basic canine manners and obedience should be taught to this breed. Keep the training regime fun filled and interesting so that the dog doesn’t lose its focus. Positive reinforcement technique will definitely help you in garnering response from the dog.
Food is the foundation of your dog’s health. Feed it raw meat, beef bison, venison, lamb, fish. Feeding yoghurt and boiled eggs as well as fresh vegetables occasionally is also advisable.
The dog can live up to 13-15 years.
It is a hypoallergenic breed. They inherit health issues common to their parents like collapsing trachea, rheumatism, patellar, and Legg-Calve-Perthes. Few breeds also suffer from dental problems. Visiting vet for regular checkup is mandatory. It is advisable to keep your dog inside home, in cold climate.
This breed sheds low to negligible. Weekly brushing with bristle brush is recommended to keep its coat debris and mats free. It does not contain dog’s odor so bath only when required.
When the nails start hitting the floor, it is time to trim its nails. Check it ears and clean the wax formed with the help solution given by vet. Brushing its teeth is mandatory so that it doesn’t develop dental issues.
The dog thrives in an apartment life. Like Chihuahua, it has low tolerance towards cold climate. Keep your dog inside home during cold season and give it sweater to wear. Being a single coated dog, they do well in hot temperature areas.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The breed makes great companionship to family. It is fun loving and affectionate breed.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog requires infrequent grooming.
- Not suitable for cold temperature area.
- Not suitable for families with pets.
- If you cannot give time to this breed, it is not for you.