French bulldog is also known by name Bouledogue Francais and Frenchie. A popular celebrity-Leonardo di Caprio owns this breed. If you are looking for dog that is compact in size and not so athletic in nature, this dog is an ideal breed for you. It is suitable for single pet owners and families with children. This dog possesses great sense of humor and loves to please humans.
Its bat like ears and wrinkled cheeks gives this dog distinctive feature. This dog cannot live alone, so avoid leaving your dog alone in house for longer duration of time. This also means that it doesn’t like to be chained up and kept outside the home, welcome your dog inside and treat it like any other family member.
Table of Contents
French Bulldog Origin
This dog was originated in 19th century and belongs to Nottingham, England. People wanted a lap version of English bulldog and hence created this breed. This breed was called toy bulldog in England. But with the introduction of industrial revolution, craftsmen travelled to France and took this breed along with them.
With passage of time they named this breed French bulldog. Later the dogs were transferred to England for dog’s show. English people resented this name- ‘French bulldog’ as England was its native place but this name got stuck and the dog became popular worldwide as ‘French bulldog’.
French Bulldog Facts And Characteristics
- Their energy requirements are low, however you need to provide it daily walk to keep its body fit
- They bark when necessary and are quiet breed
- They are 11 to 12 inches tall
- They weigh around 20 to 28 pounds
- They live around 10 to 12 years
- They are loyal, social, playful and affectionate breed
- They are available in colors like- white, tan, black, fawn etc. and combination of two or three of these colors
- They are not hypoallergenic
- Their price ranges from $800 to $1000
- They are social even with other animals or pets at home.
- They are intolerant towards heat. Do not make your overexert itself.
- Never leave your dog outside or alone for longer duration of time.
This dog is sturdy and compact in size. It has a wide face with rounded forehead. The nose is small and darker in color, some light shade dog possess light colored nose, with a prominent broad muzzle. The dark color eyes are large and ears are bat shaped that stands erect and in triangular shape.
Jaw is well developed and teeth give an impression of under bite. Skin around shoulder and head is lose and forms wrinkles. Chest is muscular and deep and body structure is pear in shape i.e. front portion of the body is wider than back.
Size and Weight
They stand at a height of 11 to 13 inches and weigh around 28 pounds.
Coat and Color
They possess lustrous and smooth coat. Their coat is short and easy to groom. Their skin forms wrinkles around the face and shoulder. Their coat makes them unsuitable for high temperature areas. Their coat is available in black, fawn, brindle and tan colors.
French Bulldog Temperament
- Personality – They have an immensely captivating personality. Their cute looks and jolly nature can make anyone fall in love with them. They are full of life and love to be around humans without irritating them and being loud for no valid reason. In short words they are well mannered dog and with even temperament. This dog enjoys with its owner and is all hears to owner’s command. Their alert nature makes them good watchdogs.
- Behavior – They are enthusiastic species without being yappy. They know their limits and consider humans as their leader. They long for human love throughout their life. When socialized well, they are fine with any other pets at home. Most of the dogs love to hunt rats. With children they are playful and cheerful and consider them as their sibling. They are also protective of children. Few dogs are even territorial in nature do not allow any stranger near to children. They also have to habit to snore and grunt and take out weird noises. Some dogs even drool after eating or drinking water.
- Training – They are smart dogs so training them is relatively easy. Sometimes they show stubbornness, you need to be firm but not rude. If you see any mischievous activity of your dog, correct them. Do not tolerate any unwanted behavior by them, and teach them manners through effective training. If you train this dog well, they will become the best member of your family.
- Activities Requirement – This dog doesn’t need long hours of vigorous exercise. A short half an hour walk in dog’s park is enough for them. This will also keep it fit and healthy. They love to play especially with balls. They also love to interact with other dogs. Take precaution while the dog exercises in summer because it is prone to heat strokes. This dog is not a good swimmer so keep it away from pools or ponds.
This dog can be given dry food, canned food, raw food and homemade food. Their food should be high in calories and nutrients. The greater the quality of food, the more healthy life it can live. They need approximately 25 to 30 calorie per pound weight. It is important to check its weight after every 4 weeks to know if you’re not over feeding it. Keep a bowl of fresh water also near to it.
Studies have shown that they live around 10 to 12 years.
There are few diseases that they are prone to diseases like joint issue, spinal disorder, heat strokes and respiratory problem. It is advisable to keep your dog in air conditioned room in summers because their bodies have low heat tolerance.
Many also suffer from an early age blindness or cataract. They gain weight fast which makes their abdomen swollen. This causes problem in digesting food and breathing. There’s also risk in putting this breed on anesthesia because it may suffer from shortage of breathe. If you are planning to own this breed, your vet bills definitely going to high.
This breed is easy to maintain as they possess short hair which sheds less. Daily brushing its coat is recommended to keep it healthy and shiny and free from debris. Bath only when needed. This dog doesn’t wears off it nails naturally so clipping it once a month becomes necessary.
Clean ears monthly and if it gets dry rub some baby oil around its ear. Same procedure you can do for dry nose too. Some dogs drool so make sure to clean its mouth area so that harmful bacteria don’t affect its mouth. Brushing its teeth few times in a week is imperative so that it suffers from any dental problem.
They are suitable for cold areas and cannot thrive in hot climates.
French Bulldog Pet Names
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are even tempered and affectionate breed who craves for human companionship
- They are easy to groom, you do not require professional help
- They are calm and composed dogs which bark whenever necessary.
- They are not hypoallergenic
- They drool and snore
- They are not healthy dogs and are prone to number of diseases.