Japanese Terrier is renowned for their two uppermost qualities that are adaptability and affection towards humans. Like other terriers, they are neither too noise nor hyperactive. It is a calm headed animal that stays peaceful inside home.
The dog has a noble look; it has lustrous top coat and petite body structure. It is also easy to maintain and train. All these qualities make it one of the most sought after dogs in japan and other parts of the world. The most unusual attributes of this breed is its predominately black head with entire body of white color.
It is a cheerful breed that is human oriented. This simply means that the dog feels miserable if it separated from the owner even for few minutes. They have an understanding nature and even treat toddlers with great care. As they are single coated animal, they are meant for warm areas.
- Field Spaniel – A Docile Natured Breed
- Jagdterrier – The German Hunt Terrier
- Pont-Audemer Spaniel
- Dogo Argentino
- Cesky Terrier
The dog makes best companion to humans. The dogs have a sensitive nature; they cannot live happily in a tension, noisy environment where there is violence. It is a peace loving animal that believes in living life to the fullest.
Table of Contents
Japanese Terrier Origin
It is an old breed. Studies have proved that the dog’s ancestors were brought to Nagasaki by Dutch merchants. The Dutch breeds interbred with Pointer and native breed and eventually Japanese Terrier emerged. Not much documents are available about this breed so its origin is debated and under speculations.
Japanese Terrier Characteristics
- It is a native breed of Japan. This breed is registered as companion dog.
- It is less likely to be hyperactive and noise like other terriers.
- The dog is a human oriented breed and it thrives on human contact.
- It has short fur which sheds negligibly.
- The dog is easy to groom. It is a naturally clean dog.
- The dog’s head should be characteristically black in color and whole body should be white in color. You can also spot tan marking on its white coat.
- The dog is affectionate and playful around kids.
- Height of the dog is 20 – 33 cm.
- It is affectionate, lively, swift and cheerful dog.
- Life expectancy of this breed is 12-15 years.
- Weight of the dog is 5-9 pounds.
- Barking tendency of the dog is comparatively low.
- It makes great watchdog.
- The dog is easy to train. You need to be persistent and gentle in training it.
- Average price of the puppy is $800- $1000.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
It is toy breed with balanced and well developed body features. The dog has medium size ears which are folded in forward direction. Its eyes are large and expressive. Head of the dog should be wedged shape and muzzle is well formed with definite stop. The entire face of the dog including ears should be of black color.
It has well arched, long and muscular leg. Front legs are straight and back legs are well boned which gives the dog force and agility. Its tail can be docked. Its topline is slightly slanted and has a deep chest. The dog has a keen and thoughtful expression on its face.
Size and Weight
The dog should be 8 to 13 inches tall at the shoulder. It should weigh around 5 to 9 pounds.
Coat and Color
The dog has a short, straight and glossy coat. It is a single coated animal means it is a warm country dog. The dog’s face should be solid black in color. Rest of the body should be pure white in color. Many dogs also sport tan markings on white portion of coat.
Grooming and Caring
It has a short coat which requires infrequent grooming. This breed sheds negligibly so it is the perfect choice of dog for cleanliness obsessed people. Brush its coat once a week to keep it neat and mats free.
Terriers are mainly prone to bad dental health. Their teeth should be regularly brushed to maintain healthy gums. You should also visit the vet for routine checkup of its dental health. Trim its nails if it doesn’t wear it naturally. Cleaning the ears should also be a part of grooming regime.
- Personality – The dog is a bundle of joy. It has the goodness of big dog in small body. It thrives well with its family. It shouldn’t be chained outside the house. It makes best companion to human. Doctors recommend this dog to people who are suffering from loneliness and depression. The dog is bred as companion breed and it fulfills its duty with full heart. It has a habit of following owner everywhere. It will act like your shadow. It will watch football match with you and will participate in every activity which involve its family.
- Behavior – This dog will become the cutest member of your family. It is playful and energetic around kids. Toddlers are also safe with this breed. The dog is non-friendly towards other animals. If you are planning to own this dog, make sure you don’t have any pet animal beforehand. They are wary of strangers. The dogs make excellent watchdog as it always alert and vigilant. It is not a good swimmer so keep the dog away from water bodies. Inside home they are cool tempered without being yappy. This breed understands human emotions quite well.
- Activities Requirement – The dog is not brimming with extra energy. If you have a yard inside home, you can conduct its exercise over there else a walk around the park is enough. They love to play with kids and are excellent runners. The dog should be given opportunity to run off leash in a fenced yard.
- Trainability – They are easy to train because they love to please owner. Early socialization and obedience training is must for them. They are sensitive dogs, so teach them lessons with love and by using positive reinforcement techniques.
Their diet should be rich in proteins and fats. Feed your dogs in accordance with its activity level. Generally, two meals per day are sufficient for this breed. Make sure to keep fresh water around them.
The dog can live up to 12-15 years.
It is not hypoallergenic dog. The dog is a pure breed so it is less likely to suffer from any major health issues. Little minor health concern may include Von Willebrand disease, pattern baldness, cataracts etc.
As the dog is small sized, it can live in any size of apartment. It is suitable for urban lifestyle. It cannot survive extreme cold climate because of its short and single coat.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are happy dogs that makes best companion to human.
- It is a healthy dog with no major health issues.
- The dog is easy to maintain and groom.
- Not suitable for people who want a guard dog.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- It tends to be aggressive towards other animals.