The Jagdterrier is a German breed that is proficient in hunting quarry above and below the ground including badger, beer, boar etc. The dog’s name described its personality; “Jagd in German language means “hunt”. Like other terriers, they shouldn’t be trusted with other animals.
With strangers they show enough wariness. Toddlers should always be under supervision when with dogs. They are highly intelligent and trainable which makes them good family dog.
They have a thick coat which requires infrequent grooming. The dog can work and hunt in any kind of climate and terrain. Because of their decent size, they are adaptable to urban lifestyle and apartment living. The dog is also efficient in fetch games. You can train the dog to be fantastic retriever both on land and water.
The dog forms strong bond with its family and will protect them risking its own life. They are eager to learn new skills and are human pleasers. They are vigilant and make excellent watch dogs too. What makes the dog unique is its characteristically rustic-tan marking on muzzle.
The Jagdterrier is also called German Hunt Terrier. It is a recently developed in 20th century. People want a new breed that is proficient in hunting big as well as small animal. They interbred Old English Fox Terrier with the Black and Tan Hunting Terrier.
The resultant breed is what we called as Jagdterrier. It is a fierce hunter and is capable of taking down big animals like wild boar, fox and small animals like rabbits and rodent.
- The breed belongs to Germany and is a hunt dog.
- It can hunt under and above ground.
- Lifespan of this breed is 12-15 years.
- It is adaptable, courageous, intelligent and loyal dog.
- Height of the breed is 33–40 cm.
- Weight of the dog is 9-10 kg.
- Dogs come in black and tan color.
- Average cost of the puppy is $300 – $500 USD.
- It is a suitable breed for apartment but you need to fulfill it exercise needs to have a cool headed dog inside home.
- The dog sheds averagely throughout the year. Shedding level increases at the spring time.
- It is easy to groom as its coat is dirt and water repellant.
- The dog is not for a laid-back person. It is a working dog and needs enough physical stimulation to thrive happily.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog has a smooth, short haired coat.
- It makes excellent watchdog.
- The dog is not animal friendly.
It is a small breed, therefore ideal for apartment. The dog is well muscled and has a square proportionate body. The dog has a long face which strong muzzle. The dog has a deep and narrow chest that aids it to get inside small den. Its tail is set high; many people dock its tail so that it doesn’t get bruises or cut while working in the field.
The dog’s nose and eyes should be black in color. Its eyes are expressive and large. Legs of the dog are well boned and proportionate to the body. The dog has small folded ears which should be set atop its head.
Size and Weight
Average height of the male is 33–40 cm and female should be slightly smaller. Male breed should weigh around 9–10 kg and female breed should weigh around 7.5–8.5 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has a flat and wire-haired coat which should be rough to touch. Its coat shouldn’t be overly glossy and smooth. The dog should be solid black and tan in color. Shades of tan may vary from rustic tan to creamy tan. The dog should essentially have tan markings on muzzle, feet, and eyebrows and underneath.
- Personality – This breed was bred for hunting. It is a fearless and bold dog with an outgoing personality. Keep a close watch when it is interacting with other animals because it is aggressive towards animal. This breed will even resort to making strangers or neighbors afraid by showing evil expression and loud bark. It adores kids and sees them as its playmate. The dog loves its family and will do anything for them. They are also witty and mischievous and will try to cross boundaries set by owner just to check owner’s reaction.
- Behavior – They have high prey drive. Small animals should be kept away from this dog. They will prefer to work rather than to sit ideal inside home. They are tenacious workers and are dedicated hunters. They make decent guard and excellent watchdog because of their vigilant nature. They are highly intelligent dogs and excel at agility or rally sports. The dogs have tremendous amount of energy and stamina means they need to be exhausted if you want a level headed dog.
- Activities Requirement – You should keep in mind that it is a hunting dog. If you do not want to pursue hunting with the dog channelize its potential and energy in some other high intensity workout. This breed requires at least an hour of vigorous physical and mental stimulation.
- Trainability – The training should be started right at the moment you bring it home. Obedience training like “sit”, “come”, “go”, “stop” should be taught to them when they are still in puppy stage. This breed should be exposed to numerous people and animal so that it can accept new people and animal easily. Puppy should not be conducted vigorous exercise else they can break their knees and bones.
Balanced diet is necessary for the dog to achieve optimum health and growth. Serve raw meat to your dog. Package food that doesn’t contain preservatives can be given to dogs.
It is not hypoallergenic breed. Generally, they are robust and hardy dogs with no major heredity disease. Studies have shown that the dogs are mostly likely to suffer from primary lens luxation.
This breed sheds averagely. Daily brushing with bristle brush is recommended to keep the dead hair in color. It does not contain dog’s odor so bath only when required. When the nails start hitting the floor, it is time to trim its nails.
Check it ears and clean the wax formed with the help of solution given by vet. Brushing its teeth is mandatory so that it doesn’t develop dental issues.
The dog is highly adaptable and can live in urban area as well as rural. They can tolerate mild cold and hot temperature.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It makes wonderful family pet because of their loving and amiable nature.
- The dog is easy to groom.
- If you want to carry hunting with dog, it is the most suitable all-rounder hunting dog.
- The dog requires active person as it has high energy level.
- It is not animal friendly dog.
- The dog is not hypoallergenic. Asthmatic people should not own this breed.