Standard Schnauzer is all-purpose dog from Germany. The dog can be trained to do everything. Historically it was used as guard dog, ratter, gun dog, retrievers and farm dogs. Presently, this breed is renowned family dog because of its caring and protective nature towards humans. Moustache and beard gives the dog wise and distinctive look. They are alert, agile and sporty dogs which excels it in every dog related sport.
It makes wonderful watch dog and is quick to respond to any disturbances in the environment. As they are intelligent and human pleasure so they are easy to train. Their personality is mischievous, quirky and entertaining. Because of their highly developed senses, the dog is also a therapy dog. They even make friends with younger member of family. It is also considered as terrier type dog.
It is an ancient German breed. It has a rich history and the importance of the breed is depicted in paintings of Durer and Rembrandt. This breed was developed by cross mating grey wolf spitz (also known as black German poodle) with wire-haired pinscher. United States believed the dog to be terrier because of its ability to catch rats. Germany categorized it into working class because it excels as a farm dog, gun dog and ratter. The breed was also used as show dog.
Standard Schnauzer Facts And Characteristics
- The breed belongs to Germany and is a working class dog
- It has profuse facial hair. Well defined eyebrows, moustache and beard
- It excels as ratter, gun dog, farm dog and watch dog
- They are highly intelligent dogs and are always in search of adventure
- Do not use harsh method while training it else it can become notorious and resentful
- They possess enormous energy. You need to provide vigorous exercise to your dog
- They are fearless dogs and wouldn’t mind starting fight with a big dog
- They are hypoallergenic breed
- They live around 13 to 16 years
- They weigh around 14–20 kg
- Their height is 47–50 cm
- Puppy price is $1000 to $1500
- They are lively, cheerful, active and curious dogs.
It is a muscular dog with a squarely proportionate body. Their facial hair and distinctive coat give the dog unique appearance. They have dark colored, deep set eyes. The ears are set high on the head which is of medium size and folds forwardly. Their muzzle is strong and rectangular in shape with a dark colored nose. Tail is docked and carried in upward direction.
Size and Weight
Ideal height of the male breed is 18.5 to 19.5 inches while female breed height is 17.5 to 18.5 inches. Both the genders weigh around 28 pounds.
Coat and Color
It possesses double coat. Top coat is wiry, rough and of medium size. Undercoat is thick, dense and soft to touch. The dog also has bushy kind of eyebrows, long hairs in beard and moustache. Standard Schnauzers comes in tan, black, grey and fawn. A black colored coat shouldn’t be combined with any other color.
Standard Schnauzer Temperament
- Personality – It is a happy and zestful breed who knows how to enjoy life. The dog is reserved with strangers and can even turn aggressive towards them. With children they tend to be lively and playful. They are affectionate and protective towards their own family members. This dog needs lot of pampering from humans. The dog also possesses humor and will definitely make you laugh through its silly activities.
- Behavior – This breed is possessive of its possessions. It doesn’t do well with same sex dog. They also show aggression when their desires are not fulfilled. With strangers they remain suspicious. Being a gun dog, the dog has a habit of chasing small animals and cats.
- Activities Requirement – Providing it vigorous exercise can keep its mind in a steady position. The dog gets bored easily and need something to entertain itself. A house accompanied with yard is suitable place for it. Dog is recommended for active owners only. Take your dog along with yourself on jogging, running or walking. Give freedom to vent out its energy and it will be a well behave pet inside home.
- Training – The dog is highly trainable. But firm and persistent leader is recommended to train the breed. Enroll your dog in agility activities where it can stimulate its mind. Teaching your dog mannerism and socialization is utmost necessary. Through delicious food and appreciation you can make the dog learn skills faster.
Standard Schnauzer diet regime shall depend upon their age. Generally, you can provide 1-2 cups of high-quality dog food divided into two meals. Pups between 8 to 12 weeks require 4 bowls of food and puppies between the age of 3 to 6 months need 3 meals a day.
Adult between 6 months to one year should be fed 2 times every 24 hours. From one year they should be fed once in a day but some might eat two lighter meals a day.
Provide fresh food to the pet to keep them healthy and cheaper alternative to commercial food available in the market. With little effort fresh food will become staple in their diet. Do not feed people food that will deprive minerals and vitamins and cause bone and teeth problems.
Fresh food is not limited to chicken, beef, and turkey, you can include fresh fruits and raw vegetables. Oatmeal, brown rice and other grains can be included in the menu. Cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt may be the additional protein sources.
The dog lives up to 13 to 16 years.
It is a hypoallergenic breed. It is a healthy breed with relatively longer lifespan. Minor heath concerns of the dog include- cataracts, RPA, hip dysplasia, dry eyes and follicular dermatitis
Standard Schnauzer Grooming
The breed sheds lightly. Daily brushing is required to keep its coat in a healthy state, free of mats and debris. This will also not allow hair to get tangled and dead hair will be in control. Trim its hair whenever required. Mostly people don’t trim its beard and moustache to keep its trademark look.
A show dog must be hand stripped but it is unnecessary to strip a dog that is a family dog. You should also clean its ears periodically and brush its teeth weekly so that it doesn’t suffer from any oral health problem. Bath the dog as and when required.
The dog thrives well in apartment accompanied with yard or farm. The dog can tolerate cold and hot temperature equally well.
Standard Schnauzer Pet Names
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is a family oriented dog that loves to be included in family activities
- It shed lightly and is a hypoallergenic breed
- It is a healthy breed with no major health concerns
- They make excellent watch and guard dogs
- It is playful and docile around kids
- It is a clever dog and is highly trainable
- They are expert ratter. If you pet this dog your house will be rodents free.
- The dog tends to be excessively vocal
- Grooming the dog can be a hectic task. Its coat requires extensive maintenance
- You need to be an active owner. The dog’s exercise needs are high
- It tends to be aggressive and destructive in nature if its exercise needs are not fulfilled
- Not suitable for timid and first time dog owners
- They cannot survive with other pets at home. They are highly possessive in nature
- They tend to be willful and independent, training them can be a challenging task.