Samoyed dog also known as “the Sam”, “the smiling Sammy” used to be a valuable companion of Samoyede people of Siberia. The dog has a continually smiling expression and its cute face can melt anyone’s heart. This dog excels in field related to hunting, herding, pulling carts, providing warmth to people by sleeping with them and so on.
Today the dog is treasured for its sweet and loving nature with humans. It is a dignified family dog who is protective of its owner and loves playing with children. The dog craves for human companion and leaving it alone can make its life miserable. The dog’s shiny white and ultra-thick coat makes it look like a white beauty.
You can even weave or knit warm clothes out of its fur. It can be a challenging breed for novice dog owners because it has a glass full of attitude. Being a herding dog, the dog is excessive vocal. It is necessary to engage the dog in some work so it can satisfy its working desires.
Table of Contents
Samoyed Dog Facts And Characteristics
- The dog has fluffy white coat but rigorous brushing is required to keep it healthy
- The dog is not a couch potato. He will keep himself engaged in some of the work or in search of fun
- The dog is called smiling Sammy because of its characteristic smiling expression on its face
- It belongs to Siberia and was first bred by Samoyede people
- The dog has sweet temperament and is fond of children
- It is a hypoallergenic breed
- Its height is around 53–60 cm
- It weighs around 20–30 kg
- The dog tends to be stubborn and has independent streak in its personality which makes it difficult to train
- Its coat is available in white, cream and biscuit color
- Price of the puppy is around $1000- to $1200
- Its lifespan is 12 to 13 years.
The dog was bred by Siberian Samoyede people. It was part and parcel of their life. The dog used to herd reindeer, pull sledges, hunt, and used to provide them warmth by sleeping beside them. They even used its fur to knit sweater for themselves. Above all they were impressed by the dog’s companionship and loyalty towards humans. AKC recognized this breed in 1923 and even organized club for its protection.
It is a noble looking dog of arctic region. It carries itself with grace and dignity. It has broad face with triangular shape muzzle. Its lips are curved towards upward direction which gives the impression of smiling face.
The ears are small in size and triangular in shape which gets round at the tip. It has a muscular body with deep chest. Tail is profuse and extremely bushy which gets curled up at its back. Eyes are dark in color and of medium size.
Size and Weight
Male height is around 21 and 23.5 inches while female height is 19 to 21 inches. Weight of male is between 44 and 65 pounds and female weight is between 35 and 55 pounds.
Coat and Color
It has an ultra-thick double coat. Top coat is straight, long and coarse to touch. Undercoat is wooly, soft and dense in structure. Its coat is so incredibly thick that people used to knit sweaters for themselves. Its coat act as insulator in winter season and as sun screams in summer season. The coat also appears to be shiny. Samoyed dog comes in white, cream or biscuit color.
- Personality – Samoyeds are adorable happy dogs. They would favor one person over others generally the person who is in charge of its feeding and taking care of its exercise needs. This breed loves to romp in the snow. The dog especially loves to play with children and is docile around them. If its exercise needs are fulfilled, the dog will remain and composed inside home.
- Behavior – It makes excellent watch dog but good guard dog. The dog makes high pitched noise over seeing any stranger approaching inside home. But it will not turn aggressive with them. The dog can be your travel partner in cold places as its coat will keep you warm. It also loves to hike in the wood. Being a hunter it has uncontrollable desire to chase small animals. Leaving your dog alone can make it anxious and destructive in nature.
- Trainability – The dog gets bored easily so you need to make the training lessons fun filled. They are also not good listeners but treats and appreciation can garner response from them. No barking command and socialization lesson is necessary for the dog. Teach him basic obedience lessons also.
- Activities Requirement – If the dog will not get enough exercise it will let you know by chewing your belongings. Exercise requirement of this breed is moderate. If the season is of winter, it will entertain itself by romping in snow. The dog loves to play with children and will lose track of time around them.
You are supposed to feed raw food to your dog. Raw meat, raw vegetable and raw fruits are good for its health. You can throw extra meat and bone to make your dog happy.
The dog lives up to 12 to 13 years.
The dog is hypoallergenic in nature. It is a healthy breed and doesn’t suffer from any major health problems. Genetic disease includes- Hereditary Glomerulopathy. Other minor health concerns are- hip dysplasia, diabetes, cataracts and glaucoma.
Its coat requires special attention especially when you bath the dog. Applying shampoo to its thick coat is not easy and drying the dog after the bath is an all-day process. Though it is naturally a clean dog and doesn’t possess doggie odor so bath it only when necessary. The dog sheds heavily twice a year. Regular brushing will keep the mats and debris away from its skin.
It will also control the dead hair. You are not supposed to trim its hair because it gives protection to the dog from all kinds of weather. However you can trim the hair between its toes if it becomes too long. Check its ears on weekly basis for any sign of irritation or wax build up. Brush its teeth at least once in a week to assure good dental health. Trim its nails if it makes ‘clicking’ sound on the floor.
The dog is suitable for apartment lifestyle if its exercise needs are fulfilled. It can tolerate cold and heat temperature equally well.
Samoyed Pet Names
- Snow white
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog is affectionate with humans and loves children
- Its exercise needs are moderate. In winter season it can entertain itself
- It is hypoallergenic breed and has no major health concerns.
- The dog is mischievous and training it can be challenging
- If its exercise needs are not fulfilled it will chew anything
- Bathing the dog can be a rigorous process. You need to dry its coat entirely so that it doesn’t attract mites and mats.