The Welsh Springer Spaniel is a medium sized dog which is pretty feathered. This breed is considered as less hyper than its cousin Welsh Springer. The dog thrives on vigorous exercise and human companionship. The dog excels itself in gundog, tracking, hunting, retrieving and watchdog.
Emotionally it is a soft dog which requires ample amount of love and pampering from humans. Keep the environment free of stress and violence because they get affected by negativity in the environment. It is a social animal as it craves for another dog company. It is suggested to keep another pet as dog.
Some dogs may show timidity and shyness therefore it is advisable to expose your dog to problems and surroundings. Young dogs have a tendency to dribble urine when they are excited or nervous. The dog is polite and peaceful with everyone it encounters. It responds well to training exercise. It is an ideal dog for active families who have at least an average sized yard.
Welsh Springer Spaniel Origin
Welsh Springer Spaniel is considered as land spaniel they are proficient in performing task on land. This dog was used to hunt, retrieve, track and search. It is known as cousin of English springer spaniel and the Cocker Spaniel.
Exact period of their origin cannot be traced but they belonged to Roman people who acquired Briton. During renaissance period this breed also acted as birddog. Many artists depicted this breed in their art and literature. Today it is famous family pet dog because of its calm and composed nature.
- This breed belongs to Wales and is a gundog.
- It is calm, social, peaceful, sensitive and energetic dog.
- The lifespan of this breed is 12-15 years.
- It is 43-48 cm tall.
- It weighs around 18-20 kg.
- The dog comes in red and white color.
- The average price of this breed is $1200 – $1400 USD
- The dog is fairly active indoor and an average sized yard will be suitable for it.
- This breed can work in any type of climate and terrain.
- It is not a barky breed.
- It is a suitable breed for kids as it tends to be playful and energetic around them.
- It is an energetic and lively dog and it needs daily long walks and running to stay happy.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- This breed sheds averagely. Brush its coat daily to keep lose hairs in control.
- The dog learns easily as it is human pleaser.
It is a medium sized dog with a majestic coat. The dog’s head is wide with squarely shaped muzzle. Its ears are feathered, long and of pendant shape. Their eyes are deep, almond shaped and brown/hazel in color.
The dog has a well arched and thick neck with leveled topline. It has feathered tail which gets slightly curved towards the end. Overall expression on the dog’s face is sweet and kind.
Size and Weight
The ideal height of the male breed is 43-48 cm and female is 41-46 cm. The male breed weighs around 18-20 kg and female weighs slightly lower i.e.16-20 kg.
Coat and Color
The dogs have a waterproof double coat. It hair is straight unlike their English cousins. Featherings can be seen on legs, chest, underbelly and tail. Ears also sport light featherings. Its undercoat is flat and soft while topcoat is frizzy. The dog comes in rich red with white color markings on its body.
- Personality – This breed is less exuberant than other spaniel breeds however their zest to live life fully is same. The dog is amiable and friendly with everyone. It adores children and is tolerable of small children. This breed loves to explore outside environment as it was meant to work in field. The dog can be bit messy as dirt gets easily trapped in their feathered like hair; however, their smiling face and waging tail make them too cute to get angry upon them. The dog is always watchful of its nearby surrounding but they lack aggression and boldness to be guard dogs.
- Behavior – It is a gentle natured dog which is truly a pleasure to have inside home. They make dedicated family and forms strong bond with them. Separation anxiety is one common problem in them. Being a working dog, it needs space to express itself and wander freely. The dog will not stop itself from running and spinning inside home. It is a hardy dog and can hunt in any type of weather and environment. The dog is proficient as a gundog, watchdog and birddog. It is an excellent tracking, retrieving and pointing dog.
- Activities Requirements – This breed has a reservoir of endless energy. They are far away from being a couch potato. They love to run and jump so it is imperative to provide them open space to carry these activities. They have a natural instinct of hunting so take this dog to an open field where it can satisfy its desires.
- Trainability – They have an independent streak and do not respond to strict training. Keep the training regime fun filled and excited so they naturally take interest in learning. They respond better when treats and appreciations are involved. Training should be for shorter duration so that the dog doesn’t get bored.
The size, weight and activity level of dog are the factors that determines meal of a dog. A more active needs more food than a couch potato. Feed this dog raw meat and bones. Occasionally you can give it dog’s biscuit which are its favorite food item. You can feed it vegetables and boiled eggs so that it can achieve optimum health.
The life expectancy of this breed is 12-15 years.
The dog is not hypoallergenic. It is a healthy breed and any serious health issues haven’t been found in this dog. Few of common health concerns related to dogs are – hip dysplasia, ear infection, eye problems and hyperthyroidism.
Grooming and Caring
They are easy to groom than Cocker Spaniel and other spaniel breeds. They shed moderately and daily brushing is enough to keep the dead hair in control. Brushing its teeth daily will make its teeth and gums healthy and bad smell will be at bay.
If you hear its nails tapping sound on the floor immediately cut its nails. It is important to regularly check its ears because of heavy and hairy ear, chances of developing wax and infection increases. Clean the ears from solution provided by vet.
The dog is suitable for house accompanied with yard. It can survive in any type of climate.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are affectionate breed which loves to please humans.
- They are friendly and fun loving towards children.
- They are peaceful and tolerable of other animals.
- They are not hypoallergenic. If you are suffering from asthma or any other lungs related problems, it is recommended to not pet this breed.
- They are suitable for devoted owner who can provide it at least 90 minutes of exercise.
- They are not suitable for apartment. They need farm or open space to run and jump.