The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is a tenacious gundog and wonderful companion dog. His sense of humor and lively nature makes him perfect family dog. The dog excels in retrieving and pointing games.
They also make fierce birddog. The breed has friendly demeanor with everyone. Though they will bark at strangers but that is just to make his family aware of them. After that it will greet people warm heartedly. They are suitable for kids of older age because they know how to respect dog’s personal space.
They remain calm and composed inside home but needs daily dose vigorous exercise to stay even tempered and happy. As they are high energy level dogs, so a yard of average size is recommended for it. It is not an outside dog and does better when it is inside home with its family. This breed is non-shedder and makes perfect choice of dog for people with allergies.
Table of Contents
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Origin
The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is a recent developed breed. The breed has been given nationality of Dutch because its breeder was from Nederland’s. E.K. Korthals wanted an all-rounder gundog that is proficient in hunting birds too.
In an attempt of creating a desired breed he cross matted Otterhound and various Setters and Spaniels. The resultant breed used to flush, point retrieve animals in water and on land. They also excel in agility, tracking, and obedience competition. At present, they are bred for companionship purpose too.
- It is a Dutch breed and the dog is categorized as gundog.
- They are sporting dog and excel at sporting games of dog which involves agility and endurance.
- It is a loyal, lovable, fearless and mannered breed.
- The dog is suitable for big house accompanied with yard. They are mostly country dogs and needs lot of open space to express them.
- This breed sticks to family and is prone to separation anxiety if the master is not giving time and love to it.
- They are friendly and tolerable of other dogs and animals.
- They have gentle temperament and are less likely to show aggressive behavior.
- They have high prey drive towards non-canine animals.
- They make excellent watch dogs because of their alert nature. But they are not reliable guard dogs.
- The height of the dog is 55–60 cm.
- It weighs around 23–27 kg
- The dog is hypoallergenic and it shed negligibly.
- Lifespan of this breed is 10 – 12 years.
- The average price of this breed is $600 – $800 USD.
- The dog comes in brown & gray and chestnut & gray colors.
- The dog is easy to train because of its eager to please nature.
The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is a medium sized gundog with solid and graceful appearance. It has a slightly wide head with square shaped muzzle. The dog sports moustache, beard and eyebrows which gives it wise character.
It has medium size ears which lies flat on its head. Its tail is customarily docked and topline of the dog is leveled. The dog is light on its feet. It has round and webbed feet which aid it in swimming.
Size and Height
Average height of the male is 55–60 cm and female is 50–55 cm in height. Male breed weighs around 23–27 kg while female should weigh around slightly lower.
Coat and Color
The dogs have waterproof double coat. Undercoat is thick and dense while topcoat is wiry and harsh. The dog generally comes in gray with either roan or chestnut markings. Other colors like solid white, brown or white and orange are also acceptable.
- Personality – The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is treasured by hunter for its sharp skill at pointing and retrieving. They have high level of stamina and can work in any type of climate and terrain. As a family pet, this dog is quiet, gentle and lovable to everyone. If you enjoy outdoor activities and adventurous tour, griffon makes perfect travel partner to you. They get along well with older children and are tolerant of family pets and animals. Despite being energetic they are not likely to destroy objects in your home.
- Behavior – The dog has an easy going attitude. Only thing they crave for is retrieving and pointing exercise for which they were bred for. They are light in movement and excel at dog’s racing and rally related competition. The dogs are messy eaters and drinkers as food and water get caught in their moustache and beard. Make sure to wipe their face after they have eaten if you don’t want a messy home. This breed also excels at flushing out small animals from den. They are also excellent swimmers.
- Activities Requirements – It is high energetic dog as it bred to work alongside humans. Make sure to exhaust the dog on daily basis in order to have a happy breed inside home. You can take the dog for hunting, swimming and on adventurous tour. The dog makes excellent running, jogging and walking partner.
- Trainability – This breed is easy to train as they show interest in learning new skills. Be gentle and patient while training them. No efforts have to be made in the area where they are naturally skilled like pointing and retrieving. Treats and appreciation can be a good motivator. You can also teach the dog obedience commands and high level tricks because they tend to listen to their owner’s command.
They require a balanced and nutritious diet. Their diet should be of premium quality that includes protein, carbs, fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Fresh water should always be kept alongside dog’s place.
Life expectancy of this dog is 10 – 12 years.
It is a hypoallergenic breed. It is prone to hip dysplasia that cause arthritis like situation in body. Because of this issue, the dog feels difficult to walk and move. Dog could also suffer from entropion which is eyelid defect that requires immediate surgery. They can also suffer from blood clotting issue.
The dog sheds lightly. Brush its wiry coat daily to remove tangled hair and debris from body. Excessive shampooing its hair can change texture of hair so apple as required.
Bath only when required. Trim its nails monthly if it doesn’t lose it naturally. Since its ears are hanging so you are supposed to periodically inspect it and clean it.
This dog is not suitable for small house. They thrive well in farms and yards. Because of their unique coat, they can survive in any type of climate.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are efficient in hunting on land and water and are determined hunters.
- They make perfect companion dog to active family.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed and it sheds lightly.
- They need your ample amount of time. Two hours of rigorous exercise is must for them.
- They are messy eaters as food struck in their beard.
- They tend to develop separation anxiety.