The Wirehaired Vizsla hails from Hungary. It is an all-rounder hunting dog which is bestowed with incredible tracking and retrieving abilities. The dog can work in all kind of weather and terrain. It can hunt on land as well as water. This breed is considered as cousin of Vizsla breed.
Its wiry coat and bushy brows and beard make it different from cousin. In Hungarian language, the word “Vizsla” means “pointer” which is appropriately applicable to this breed.
Apart from hunting, the dog excels at agility and obedience sports. It is a bundle of joy to active families. The dog makes excellent “therapy dogs” because of their caring and lovable demeanor towards their owner.
It is highly people oriented dog and sticks to them all time. They love interacting with dogs and wouldn’t mind them inside home. If raised together, they even do well with cats.
Table of Contents
Wirehaired Vizsla Origin
The exact origin of the Wirehaired Vizsla is a mystery. Some believes that Vizsla breed is a century old while some think it is a 20th century breed. According to archeologist, similar looking dog belonged to Magyar hunters who were first settlers in Hungary.
This breed was named by them as ‘Yellow Turkish Hunting Dog’. The Wirehaired Vizsla was developed in 1930’s. After World War II, the Vizsla breed got almost extinct. In an attempt to rejuvenate this breed, breeders cross mated it with many native dogs.
Eventually, a thicker coated Vizsla was born. Later thicker coat Vizsla was crossed with German Wirehaired Pointer which gave rise to the Wirehaired Vizsla. The resultant dog can withstand the cold weather and water better than the earlier variety.
Wirehaired Vizsla Characteristics
- This breed belongs to Hungry and it is an all-round hunting dog.
- It is a friendly, loyal, intelligent and protective breed.
- Lifespan of this breed is 12-14 years.
- The dog’s height is 57-64 cm.
- It weighs around 20-27 kg.
- The dog comes in golden color.
- Average price of this breed is $800 – $1000 USD.
- The dog is recommended for country dwellers because it needs space to live happily.
- It is a suitable breed for kids as it is known to be playful and energetic around them.
- This breed has a pack mentality which means it is peaceful with other dogs and canine animals.
- This breed is easy to maintain. There is no requirement of trimming or stripping.
- The dog is not hypoallergenic.
- It sheds minimal hair.
- As they are eager to please humans so training them is easy.
The dog appears to be perfect blend of Vizsla and German Wirehaired breed. The dog is larger and heavier boned than its cousin. The dog has wedged shaped forehead and square shaped muzzle. The dog has pinkish colored nose and brown colored eyes.
The bushy brows and shaggy beard gives the dog unique appearance. Its ears are pendant shaped and hang close to the cheeks. Their tail is customarily docked. The dog gives the expression of nobility and strength.
Size and Weight
Male breed should stand between 58 – 64 cm and female breed should be between 55 to 58 cm. Typical weight of the male should be 20-27 kg and female should be 18-25 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has a waterproof and thick double coat which protects it from external injury. Topcoat should be dense, stiff and 1 to 2 inches in length and undercoat should be equally dense and soft to touch. The dog has facial furnishings which give it comical character. It comes in shades of gold color.
- Personality – It is a strong and versatile breed which is suitable for owners who live in countryside. The dog is active inside home, so apartment living is not for it. It is affectionate, dedicated and intensely loyal to their owners. They prefer being a shadow of their master rather than confining to crate. This breed is outgoing and friendly and is rarely shy or timid. They think the whole world as big family and will not mind even greeting stranger by wagging their tail.
- Behavior – They make outstanding gundog as well family companion. They adore children and are characteristically playful around them. They love spending time with owners in fields. They can work tirelessly in the farm and forest areas and in any kind of weather. As the dogs have high hunting instincts so keep the small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters away from it. They also make wonderful birddog so birds are also under threat with this dog. The dog is not barky and it barks only when someone provokes it. They are good mannered dog and tend to listen to their owner.
- Activities Requirement – They required high intensive vigorous exercise to stay happy and healthy. Provide the dog with hunting opportunity or fast paced activities which involves agility and tracking. They love swimming so it can be a great way to burn off their excess energy. You can also take the dog for jogs, hikes etc.
- Trainability – The dogs are willful learner. They love to make their owner happy and for that they are ready to give extra hours to training exercise. This is a sensitive breed so harsh behavior will hamper their mental growth. Use positive and gentle training techniques to teach them lessons.
The dog requires premium quality nutrition to stay healthy. It should be fed 500-600 grams of meat per day which should be supplemented with vegetables, flaxseed and fish oil. The dog loves fruit and considers it as a treat. Carrot, beans and cucumber are great for dogs.
The life expectancy of this breed is 12-14 years.
It is not a hypoallergenic breed. Health concerns of the dog include bloat, osteosarcoma, cardiomyopathy and plyometric.
The dog’s coat requires low maintenance. Brush its coat once a week to keep it in good shape and health. You can use mild shampoo after it comes back from hunting trip.
This breed isn’t a heavy shedder so a perfect choice of pet for those who do not want to deal with doggie’s hair. Brush its teeth daily to avoid dental related problem. As it is an active dog, so it will wear down its nails naturally. Clean its ears of weekly basis with vet approved solution.
This breed is suitable for countryside and farms where it has got plenty of space to run and express it. The dog prefers cool climate though it can tolerate moderate temperature.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is a friendly breed with no signs of aggression.
- This breed makes perfect companion to active families who have a time and energy to spare.
- The dog is highly social. It gets along with other dogs well.
- It is a tenacious hunter.
- The dog is not suitable for apartment.
- It requires vigorous exercise on daily basis to thrive happily.
- It is not hypoallergenic breed.