Vizsla breed hails from Hungary and is the smallest of breed which is all-rounder in spheres of pointing, retrieving, tracking and hunting. The dog is lively, well-mannered and affectionate. This breed is also called as “Velcro” dog because it likes to stick to people he is fond of say he loves sitting on master’s lap. This gentle natured dog is athletic, agile and light on its feet. It is a tenacious hunter and hence needs vigorous exercise on daily basis.
The dog also needs lots of personal attention to thrive. Too little companionship and exercise can make the dog neurotic and destructive in nature. This dog is also notorious chewers. Make sure you provide it plenty of toys to chew upon. Generally, they get along with people and other animals well.
The dog also excels in “advanced obedience competition”. Because of their submissive nature they are more than willing to learn new skills and please master. The dog has sleek coat and athletic body which adds to its charm. It is a suitable dog for novice owner because of its soft nature.
The dog was developed by Magyars people who are most probably the first settlers in Hungary. Primarily they were used for hunting hares, birds. Eventually their role increased to retrieving and pointing animals. This dog is so talented that they were used to deliver message at the time of World War. At present it is bred for companionship purpose and to do multiple of jobs.
- The breed belongs to Hungary and is a gundog.
- It is an affectionate, gentle, quiet and loyal breed.
- This breed lives up to 12 – 15 years.
- It is not hypoallergenic breed.
- This breed requires vigorous exercise to stay happy and steady minded.
- Height of the breed ranges from 56–64 cm
- It weighs around 20–29 kg.
- The dog has short coat which is easy to maintain.
- It sheds moderately and requires infrequent grooming.
- Early socialization is necessary to make it a confident breed.
- They are peaceful with other dogs. They are even friendly with cats if raised together.
- This breed requires ample amount of love and attention. It is not meant for busy people.
- They are suitable breed for house with yard where they can run and express themselves freely.
- Their coat doesn’t permit them to live in cold climatic areas. Keep your dog inside home and with family members.
- This breed comes in red or pale yellow color.
- Average price of this breed is $500-$800 USD.
The Vizsla is a muscular, sleek coated medium sized dog. It has a chiseled head and square shaped muzzle with a moderate stop. Nose of the dog is brown and teeth should meet in a scissor bite.
Its eyes are expressive and of brown color. The ears are pendant shaped and of medium size. The tail of the dog is customarily docked. Overall look of this dog is considered as aristocratic.
Size and Height
Average height of the adult dog should be 22 to 24 inches and female’s ideal height should be 21 to 23 inches. An adult male dog should weigh around 20–29 kg and female should weigh around 18–25 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has a smooth and shiny coat. It has single coat which is short in length. The dog’s coat lies flat to its body. The dogs come in shades of rust. Some dogs are of pale yellow and red color which is a result of indiscriminate breeding.
- Personality – The Vizsla is referred to as “Velcro dogs” because of their tactile nature. They love getting pampered and caressed from family members. They want to be with their people 24×7. Therefore, they are not recommended for people who have busy work schedule. The even don’t mind sitting on human’s lab for getting their belly rubbed. Even while hunting on field, they will never wander far from their master. This breed has an extraordinary skill in pointing and tracking. Vizsla is perfect breed for families who follow active lifestyle.
- Behavior – They are one of the most well-mannered dogs that you can have. They never think to cross the boundary set by master for them. If you are looking for quiet breed, Vizsla is not for you. They sometimes bark just to hear their own voice. Separation anxiety is one common problem in them. Without the sight of their favorite people, they go anxious. It is better to have another gentle mannered breed in home. In that way it can keep itself busy and entertain with another dog partner. The dog is friendly with strangers and kids. They make perfect addition to family.
- Activities Requirement – The dog needs at least an hour of vigorous exercise to be happy and healthy. Occasionally take the breed for hunting. It is a perfect dog for outdoor activities. You can take the dog on hiking, jogging, running and trekking. The dog loves to play games which involve balls.
- Trainability – This breed is super easy to train and therefore is recommended for novice owner. They are naturally well behaved dogs who are born to follow master. They eagerly learn new tricks and other training lessons. One can easily teach them advanced skills.
The dogs have poor quality coat and weight. It is advisable to feed them lamb and rice or salmon and rice food.
Life expectancy of this dog is 12 – 15 years.
The dog is not hypoallergenic. Health concern of the dog includes – Allergies, ectropion, entropion, epilepsy, immune-mediated thrombocytopenia, cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy, sebaceous adenitis, hip dysplasia, hypothyroidism, and von Willebrand disease.
Grooming and Caring
The dog is easy to groom. They do not carry doggie’s odor so bathe it only when it is necessary. Excessive bathing can deplete the natural oil found on its skin, so care should be taken.
This breed sheds moderately, so brushing it after every alternate day will keep the dead hairs in control. Brushing and combing will also ensure that the dog is mats and debris free. Clean its ears on monthly basis with vet approved solution. Trim the nails if it doesn’t wear it naturally.
The dog is suitable to live an apartment with yard. Because of their high energy needs and active lifestyle, they need space to express them and live freely. The dog prefers moderate climate. Because of its short coat, it cannot tolerate extreme cold climates.
Vizsla Pet Names
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog excels in the field of tracking and pointing. It makes wonderful helper to hunters.
- The dog forms close bonds with its owner and is suitable for companionship purpose.
- This breed is easy to train as it is highly interested in pleasing owner.
- The dog is not meant for owner who leads sedentary lifestyle.
- Not an apartment dog, it needs space to express itself.
- The dog is not suitable for people who have busy work life.