Thai Ridgeback belongs to Thailand and is a rare breed but getting popularity in western countries too. It is a warm climate dog, so you need to take utmost care in winters. The breed is multi-skilled. It is proficient in killing cobra, in being a guard dog and hunt dog.
The breed is renowned for its protective instincts. It is believed that the dog spies the soul of vicious person when on guard duty.
If you want a dog that always listens to you and is easy to train, this is not the right choice of breed for you.
It is smart dog that always think to outplay you. Though if trained and socialized well, it makes wonderful family dog. With children they are playful and watchful of them. The dogs have bluish-gray tongue which is a normal attribute of this breed.
Table of Contents
Thai Ridgeback Origin
This breed of dog is 400 years old. It belongs to eastern Thailand and because of isolation, breed’s gene pool is not extended. Because of scarce availability of documents not much is known about its history.
This breed was used by farmers for protection of farmland. It is one of those three breeds that has ridge of hair on back which runs in opposite direction to the rest of the coat.
Thai Ridgeback Characteristics
- The dog belongs to Thailand and is a guard dog.
- This dog can kill cobra if it come across. It has strong hunting drive.
- This breed is not suitable for novice owner. Experienced dog owners who understand the needs of the breed can only tame this dog.
- It has grey-blue color of tongue.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- Lifespan of this breed is 12 – 13 years.
- It is one of those three breeds that has ridge of hair on its back which runs in opposite direction to its coat.
- The dog comes in red, blue, fawn and black color.
- Height of the dog should be 56–61 cm.
- Weight of the dog should be 23–34 kg.
- With strangers they are scary and suspicious.
- They are playful around children, if they are raised together.
- The dog tends to be dominant with other animals.
- It is meant for warm countries. Extreme cold climate can be fatal for its life.
- It has a short coat which is easy to maintain.
- Average cost of the puppy is $600 – $800 USD.
It is a medium sized dog with muscular built up body. Its coat is smooth, glossy and short. The dog has an athletic body and is light on feet. Its ears are triangular shaped and pricked. Its head is wedge shaped with a well-developed muzzle.
Its tail is thin, carried in upward direction and gets pointed towards the end. This type of tail is called sword tail. Its eyes are almond shaped and brown in color. The tongue of the dog is blue-black color. Its back is leveled and has ridge of hair that runs in opposite direction of its coat.
Size and Weight
Average height of the male breed is 56–61 cm and female should be 51–56 cm tall. Weight of the male should be 23–34 kg and female should weigh around 16–25 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has a single coat. Its coat is short, hard and lies close to body. The glossy effect on its coat gives the dog aesthetic look. The dog comes in solid colors like blue, red, black and fawn. Brindle and white color dogs are unacceptable as per breed’s standard.
Thai Ridgeback Temperament
- Personality – It is an intelligent breed that has mind of its own. It will always try to trick you and will do things according to its own way. The dog needs firm owner who can manage it. They are not suitable for toddlers because anything smaller than their height is their prey. The dog has strong hunting desires. It is an escape artist and if fenced properly it will escape the property in search of prey. The dog is always ready for action and will never sit idle. It is also a tenacious worker. If trained properly it makes lovable and caring companion.
- Behavior – As the dogs were away from human contact and was bred in isolation so much of their wild instinct remains intact till present generation. The dog is aggressive towards strangers and will not allow stranger to enter inside home when the master is away from home. The sense of security which the dog gives is awesome. They tend to be dominant with other animals and are possessive of their toys and food. The dog needs an open space to express them. It is not extremely vocal but will bark loudly to let you know of the approaching stranger. A well trained dog will make your life full of adventure.
- Activities Requirement – The dog is always buzzing with excess energy. You need to exhaust the dog with vigorous exercise. Along with physical exercise it needs mental stimulation as well. It will generally get more inclined towards one person but will be protective of rest of the family. Give your dog opportunity to hunt. Guarding is his favorite task which it takes it seriously. Occasionally take your dog on hunting and adventurous trip. The dog is an excellent jumper as well.
- Trainability – It is necessary to start its training as soon as you bring it home. Socialize your puppy to as many dogs and person as you can. Teach your dog about hierarchy that humans are always the leader irrespective of size. Be firm but not harsh on your dog.
As it is an active breed so its diet should be rich in protein and carbohydrates. Feed your dog chicken, turkey, beef, bison, venison, lamb, and fish. In order to provide it basic nutrition and minerals, you can also feed it raw vegetables and fruits. Occasionally you can give yoghurt to your dog.
The dog can live up to 12 – 13 years
It is not a hypoallergenic breed. Being a purebred dog it is a healthy and hearty dog with no major health problems. Minor health concerns common to all dogs are hip dysplasia, skin infection, deafness etc.
It is a low maintenance dog. It sheds negligibly because of its short and hard coat. Brush its coat once a week to distribute natural oil found on skin. Do not bath the dog excessively else it can suffer from skin irritation and dryness. Trim its nail as needed and check its ear on weekly basis for any signs of infection. Do not forget to brush its teeth.
The dog thrives in a warm climate. Even in moderate cold temperature, extra precaution is needed to be taken. It is suitable for house accompanied with yard but can live in apartment if its exercise needs are fulfilled.
Thai Ridgeback Pet Names
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is a low maintenance dog that sheds lightly.
- The dog is a fierce guard dog and excellent watch dog.
- It has incredible hunting skills.
- Not suitable for timid owners.
- Training the dog is difficult.
- It will not always obey you and stubborn minded.