Spanish Water Dog is a medium sized dog that is known for its tightly curled coat. They are all-purpose dog and excel themselves in activities like herding, hunting, water work, retrieving and companionship.
They are also athletic dogs who love to take part in dog sports related to agility and water games. The dog thrives in a human companionship and should never be left alone in the house.
They may tend to be authoritative and act as pack leader. Through training and gesture, you need to take hold of the dog and make him believe that human is always the leader.
They possess tremendous amount of energy hence you need to lead an active life to own this breed. The dog bears a close resemblance to poodle and Portuguese water dog. It is a highly intelligent breed which is also used in search and rescue mission, smelling narcotics etc.
There is no valid proof of its origin. Some experts believe that it is one of the oldest dogs of this planet. Some experts believe that the dog shares the same bloodline as poodle and Portuguese water dog. This breed is also known by name “Andalusian Turk’ because it is result of Turkish breeds brought to Spain on boats.
The dogs were originally used for herding but later they were also used for retrieving prey from the water. The dog excels in every kind of water games and hence has been named appropriately.
Spanish Water Dog Characteristics
- The dog belongs to Turkey/Spain.
- It is a herding dog as well as used in retrieving game from water.
- The dog has a distinctive curly coat which requires infrequent grooming.
- The dog shares a same resemblance to poodle.
- It is not so chatty breed and barks only when required.
- They should be given vigorous amount of physical activities.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed.
- This breed is rare to the world except its own country.
- They are not suitable for apartment living because they are boisterous and rambunctious.
- They live around 10 to 14 years of age.
- Height of the dog is 42–52 cm.
- This breed weighs around 18–22 kg.
- It comes in black, white, beige, brown or combination of any two or three colors.
- The breed is highly trainable, loyal and affectionate.
- Price of the puppy is $1000 – $1200 USD.
Spanish Water Dog Appearance
It is a medium sized dog which is athletic and robust. It has well proportionate body which is sturdily built up. The dog has rectangular shape body which means it is longer than tall.
Its tail can be docked or non-docked. It has hanging ears of medium size. The nose and eyes are of same color as the darkest color on its coat. Its eyes are expressive and alert.
Size and Weight
Ideal height of the male breed is 42–52 cm while female height is 38–48 cm. Male breed should weigh around 18–22 kg while female breed should weigh around 14–18 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has closely packed curls and wooly hair. It is a single coated animal which has dense hair. It sheds pretty low to negligible and requires minimal grooming. It comes in white, black, beige, brown or combination of colors.
- Personality – Work keeps them happy. This dog loves to work alongside humans. It loves to attract humans and amusing them through its clownish activities. This breed is fond of water and kids. They are good with every size of kid. Surprisingly they are calm and composed with toddlers. They understand human emotions well and that’s why recommend by doctors to depressed people. They are incredibly protective and faithful to their family members.
- Behavior – Herding skills are deeply embedded in its genes. It even herds humans. The dog is excellent in water games. It is a quite breed which believes in expressing its feelings through wagging its tail and through facial expression. They do not make good watch dog. With strangers they tend to be wary and aloof. They are hardworking dogs with athletic nature. The dog forms strong attachment with its family but doesn’t tend to develop separation anxiety, however no dog should be left alone for too long.
- Activities requirement – They are hyper breed which remains elated. They enjoy life to the fullest. One hour of vigorous exercise is must for them. You can also enroll this breed in agility courses. This will bring you closer to your pet and its mind will remain active. You can also take your dog to
- Trainability – They are willful but at the end of day they are human pleasures. Because of their strong and active mind, you can make this breed learn anything under the sun. A firm leader is required for its training. Socialization lesson should be given at an early age.
Puppies below one year should be given four bowls of food. Once they cross one year, they should be given three bowls per day. After two years of age, two bowls of food is sufficient for them. Make sure that you offer quality food to your dog. Do not over feed your dog. Keep fresh water at their place.
The dog lives up to 12 to 14 years of age.
It is hypoallergenic breed. The dog is healthy with no major health issues. Few minor concerns which the dog is prone to are hip dysplasia, neuroaxonal dystrophy (dog’s sensory nerves get affected because of brain swelling), progressive retinal atrophy (causes night blindness), cataract, and hypothyroid.
Grooming and Care
You should never comb or brush its coat because that can destroy its hair follicles and natural shape of the hair. To keep its coat debris and mats free, bath it and rub like you’re washing sweater. Mild shampoo should be applied without heavy conditioner.
To make the dog dry never rub its coat harshly just damp the towel around its body and let it dry naturally. You are even not supposed to trim or clip its hair. However once a year you can shear its coat. Clean its ear regularly with vet approved solution. Trim its nail if you hear clicking sound on the floor. Brush its teeth regularly to avoid dental related issues.
This breed is adaptable. It can live in any environment. Its coat provides protection in extreme cold or hot climate. The dog is suitable for house accompanied with yard.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is an attractive dog with larger than life personality. You will fell in love with this dog at first sight.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed with healthy life.
- It’s grooming need is simple and low.
- Only an active owner can keep the dog happy. It possesses enormous energy.
- It is dangerous dog for small animals. It has irresistible prey drive.
- As it is a rare breed so it is difficult and costly to buy