The owners and breeders of Fila proclaim this breed as – “different than other dogs”. This breed is a national dog of Brazil and there exist a proverb “as faithful as Fila”. This versatile breed is proficient in hunting, herding, protecting, carting and tracking. To its family, it is gentle and affectionate but to strangers it is aloof and reserved.
Some dogs can also be aggressive towards them so never leave Fila alone with any strangers. This breed is known for its protectiveness trait, it can stake its own in protection of its family and master. An active owner is suitable for this breed because it has an extensive exercise needs.
This breed was developed by Brazilian. They needed a courageous working dog that is versatile in every field mainly guarding, protecting the possession, and hunting big or small animals. The name Fila originated from Portuguese words ‘filar’ which mean to hold or secure.
This breed was even used in fields for herding livestock. This breed, Bloodhound, and mastiff share the similar bloodline. The entire mentioned breeds have common characteristics like fearlessness, tracking and herding quality, loose skin and remarkable guarding skills.
- Tornjak – Mountain Sheep Dog
- Whippet – Descended From Greyhounds
- Weimaraner – Energetic Hunter
- Ainu Dog
Fila Brasileiro Characteristics
- They belong to working class group and originated from brazil
- Their average lifespan is 9 to 12 years.
- They are brave, loyal and possess exceptional guarding skills.
- Strangers should be wary of this breed because it can also bite or attack them. Early socialization lesson is utmost necessary for this breed.
- It weighs around 64 to 82kg.
- Its average height is around 65 to 75 cm.
- Its coat is available in shades of four colors – red, yellow, brindle and black.
- This breed drools a lot especially after eating or drinking.
- Domesticating this breed is banned in many countries like UK, New Zealand, and Australia etc.
- This breed is also known by name Brazilian mastiff.
- This breed is not hypoallergenic.
- It barks only when necessary.
- Price of puppy is around $700 to $1000.
This breed has similar appearance as that of bloodhound and mastiff. It has a bulky body with wide head. Muzzle is also large with big upper lips. Nose is black in color and has two broad nostrils. Its coat hangs loosely on its body.
The ears hags like a pendant and is rounded V shape. Eyes are almond shape and dark in color. The tail is thick in starting and gets tapered at the tip. This dog contains gait as that of a camel. Overall the appearance of this breed is giant and bulky.
Size and Weight
Ideal height of male breed lies between 25.5 to 29.5 inches and weighs around 110 pounds. Ideal height of female breed is between 23.5 to 27.5 inches and weight is around 90 pounds.
Coat and Color
The Fila Brasileiro breed has a short yet dense hair. Hair is not soft to touch and is coarse in structure. You can also find less hair around its muzzle and nose. The coat is available in four colors – brindle, black, and yellow and red.
Stripes of two colors are common. You can also find white markings around its face and neck areas which is not undesirable.
- Personality – This dog has a unique temperament. It is loyal and devoted towards its family. It is a human pleasure and adores children. Most of the dogs are immensely intolerant towards strangers. They also tend to attack them, so it advisable to never leave this dog alone with strangers or relatives. This breed is highly territorial in nature and cannot tolerate any other pet at home. This breed is suitable for those who can devote their time in training and exercising this breed.
- Behavior – No matter how much you provide socialization lesson to them, they can never behave softly with strangers. This makes them extremely remarkable guard dogs. Strangers should not point finger or touch this breed, because they think that person is going to attack them. In order to save themselves they may even bite them. If you’re an owner of this bred, it is responsibility to make sure your dog behaves in a civilized manner.
- Trainability – Socialization lesson needs to be provided to this breed at an early age. They think themselves as alpha so leadership has to be established by the master when dog is in child phase. Though they tend to be obedient and human pleasure but they wouldn’t mind biting if the master behaves in a cruel manner. You should plan a training program that can bring out the best qualities in this breed. Assertiveness and patience factors in you can only prove fruitful in training them.
- Activities Requirement – This dog is not suited for apartment. They thrive well in a house that has empty space where they can wander and run. You need to give daily dose of exercise and mental stimulation to make this happy. Care should be taken while making them exercise as extensive and vigorous exercise can prove problematic for their knees and joints.
Puppy should be fed four bowl of food per day. As they get older they should be fed only twice a bowl of food per day. Dry fruits are must in their diet. Apart from barf diet, you can also feed it cottage cheese, boiled eggs, fruits and vegetables.
They live 10 to 12 years if given proper health care and balanced diet.
This breed tends to suffer from elbow and hip dysplasia. Bloat, gastric torsion and progressive retinal atrophy are also common health issues seen in this breed. Apart from these health problems it can also inherit genetic disease so it is important to buy puppy after doing background checkup of its parents.
This breed sheds moderately except at the time of season change. Weekly brushing with a bristle comb should be done to keep its coat healthy and shiny. Because of floppy ears, it is important to clean its ear regularly and check if there’s in-built wax or infection.
Clean the ears with vet provided solution only. Brush its teeth daily to avoid any dental problems and it also keeps the bad breath at bay. Trim it nails if doesn’t wear off naturally.
They are not suited for urban lifestyle. They perform better in lawn and farms. Because of their size and energy requirement, they may feel suffocated at small house. This dog can withstand cold climate but warmth climate is more suitable to it.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are the most honest and loyal dog breed.
- They make exceptional guard dogs.
- They are highly protective of their family members.
- They are versatile dogs.
- They are aggressive towards strangers. They may even bite them if any unknown person tries to come closer to it.
- They are prone to suffer from hip and elbow dysplasia.
- Their lifespan is comparatively less which is 10 to 12 years.
- They are not hypoallergenic.