German shorthaired pointer is a versatile breed that is capable of hunting and retrieving both in land and water. It has sleek body yet powerful legs that help it to run swiftly. This breed makes wonderful companion and the reason why it is one of the sought after dogs for domestication.
Only thing dog craves from human being is fulfillment of its exercise needs and in turn it will become your best four legged friend. Obedience training is a must for this breed to make it an ideal family dog.
Most of the dogs are tolerant towards other canine animals but some may not stand the sight of any other animals at home. They are necessarily cat chasers. They seem to respond gently and timidly with small children.
The exact information about its history is unknown but it is believed that it is descendant of German Bird Dog. German bird dog shares the same bloodline with Old Spanish Pointer.
Few experts are of the opinion that German hound, English Pointer and the Arkwright Pointer contributed to the development of this versatile breed. This breed can appropriately be described as “jack of all trades” because of its efficiency to work both in land and water and versatile nature.
German Shorthaired Pointer Facts And Characteristics
- They belong to Germany and categorized as sporting dog
- They have extremely high energy needs
- They are also an escape artist so care should be taken
- They are people oriented and don’t like to be left alone
- They are not hypoallergenic
- Their lifespan is around 12 to 14 years
- They weigh around 25–32 kg
- Their height ranges from 58–64 cm
- They are affectionate, bold and courageous dogs
- They are available in following colors- Liver, Liver & White, Black & White, Brown & White, Liver Roan, Brown
- They are versatile in hunting on land and in water
- Their cost ranges from $1000 to $1500.
It has slim but well balanced body. Its face is elongated with long muzzle. Its eyes are deep, expressive and almond shape. Ears are large, floppy and wide which hangs forward on its face. Their skin is tightly hugged on its body and tail is naturally docked. Their webbed like feet helps them to be efficient swimmer.
Size and Weight
Ideal height of the male is between 23 and 25 inches at the shoulder. Ideal height of the female is between 21 to 23 inches. Male breed weighs around 55 to 70 pounds and female breed weighs around 45 to 60 pounds. Dogs with immensely heavy density bones or light density bones are undesirable.
Coat and Color
Their coat is tightly hugged to body. They sport a dense and short haired coat. Their coat is dirt and water repellent. Their coat can be either thick in pattern, patched or roan. The hair on its head tends to be softer than hair in the rest of the body. Their coat is available in solid liver or white and solid liver color.
- Personality – It is an alert and lovable breed that makes it perfect family dog. This dog also doesn’t possess aggressiveness. They also make great watchdogs because of their attentive nature. They seem to be happy around children and tend to extra lively around them. Bred for its hunting ability, it can hunt down birds and animals both in land and water. It is an excellent swimmer and take along with you to a pool if you have one. They also work well in rough terrain. It also enjoys outdoor games.
- Behavior – They are easy going animals. They have a sensitive nature and they attach themselves to family members so much that they tend to suffer from separation anxiety when left alone. Being a hunting dog they should not be trusted with cats and other small dogs. They have a habit of chasing species smaller than them. If their exercise needs are not fulfilled they will show behavioral attitude like excessive barking, chewing etc. If you have a male GSP bring a female dog to home to avoid fighting between them.
- Trainability – Training them can be a difficult task because they tend to get distracted by sight, smell and sound. Once they get distracted it becomes difficult to bring them back to the training session. Being a natural hunter, you do not have to put much effort in this field. However obedience and manners should be taught to this dog at an early age. Positive reinforcement combined with treats is an effective way to train them.
- Activities Requirements – Burning their energy is must else they turned out to be rambunctious in nature. A simple walk around the park is not sufficient for this breed. You need to give it at least two hours of vigorous physical exercise. Their webbed feet makes remarkable swimmer so occasionally you can take it to swimming.
Diet depends upon the age of the dog, feed the Pup up to 6 months more than twice a day and when it reaches adulthood, feed them twice a day. 2-3 cups of high-quality dry food should be given daily divided into two equal meals. Do not feed large meal because it is prone to bloat, avoid quick feeding and large amount of water or vigorous exercise immediately after a meal.
They live around 12 to 14 years of age.
They are not hypoallergenic breed. Their health concerns may include- epilepsy, eye problems, nasal cavity tumors, central diabetes insipidus, cleft palate etc.
They have low grooming needs. The short hair on their body do not sheds heavily. Weekly combing is enough to keep its coat healthy and debris free. Brushing its coat with firm bristle brush is recommended.
Do not over bath this dog else the natural oil found in its coat can deplete. Trim its nails when clicking sound on floor can be heard. Brush its teeth daily to keep the bad smell at bay. Check its ear and clean it vet approved solution
German Shorthaired Pointer are athletic with high energy level and require space to burn off their energy. They are not suitable for apartment and does well in a home with yard with secured fence. It requires ample space to play and thrive well in areas with moderate temperature.
They take time to get mature unlike other dogs. They should be bred only after they reach their age of maturity and is physically strong.
- Male : Felix, Leon, Bruno, Sawyer, Finn
- Female : Olive, Valentina, Sophia, Delaney, Sadie
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are excellent hunting dogs and a superb family companion.
- GSPs are people-oriented dogs and crave for human touch.
- They are good watch dogs.
- They are not hypoallergenic breed.
- They have few major health concerns so your vet bills may go high.
- They tend to be sensitive in nature and require an active owner.