German Longhaired Pointer (GLP) is a versatile hunting dog that can hunt, track and retrieve its prey. The dog makes excellent pet dog only if it is given vigorous exercise and mental stimulation. As the dog is athletically sound so a walk around the park is merely a warm up exercise to him.
To develop a good relation with your dog, take it to a dog’s sports track, on hunting, hiking and travelling. The dog is highly sociable in nature and loves to make friends with other animals. Non canine animals should be kept away from it because of its hunting heritage. No matter what, this dog will never adapt to sedentary lifestyle.
Confining your dog’s activity can lead to hyperactivity, excessive barking and destructive behavior. This dog is aesthetic addition to family because it is cheerful and playful around children. Except Germany, the breed is quite rare to the rest of the world. The dog is closely associated with the German shorthaired pointer and the German wirehaired pointer.
Table of Contents
As the name suggests the breed was developed in Germany in the late 19th century. The breed is foundation of many other German breeds’ dog. It is also the oldest breed among the German shorthaired pointer and the German wirehaired pointer. The breed has bloodline of a bird- hawk-and water dog as well as of Bracken (Scent hounds).
This enables the breed to be a versatile gun dog both on land and in water for hunting, pointing and retrieving. The GLP is known for its remarkable hunting skills, impressive scenting ability and passion for adventure.
German Longhaired Pointer Facts And Characteristics
- The breed originated from Germany and is a gundog
- It’s an affectionate, friendly, social and passionate dog
- The weight of the breed is around 27–32 kg
- The height of the breed is 60–70 cm
- The breed is available in following colors- roan, brown roan, white & chocolate, dark chocolate
- The German shorthaired pointer and the German wirehaired pointer are its cousins
- Apart from being a hunting dog, it is also a remarkable sports dog. Its agility and endurance is mesmerizing
- The breed is rare in the world
- The lifespan of the breed is over 10 years
- Puppies cost around $1000 to $1500
- The breed is not hypoallergenic in nature
- The breed is social and friendly with other canine animals.
The breed has a sturdily built up muscular body. There should be grace in its body formation and it shouldn’t be bulky to look. The body structure of the breed grants it agility and strength. The breed should never look lean and frail. Its feet are webbed shape which makes the dog exceptional swimmer. The aesthetic face of the dog adds to its charming personality. Its muzzle is of wedged shape and nose is of brown color. The ears are hairy which falls gracefully on its side face. Eyes are oval in shape and brown in color.
Size and Weight
The ideal height of the dog is 60 – 70 cm while the female being slightly shorter in height and ranges from 58 – 66 cm. The weight of the breed lies between 27 – 30 kg.
Coat and Color
The coat of the dog is of medium length. It possesses a double coat but undercoat is not profuse in texture to makes it stand apart. The coat is not soft and supple rather shiny and coarse. Feather like fur is found in many parts of its body. The hair should be wiry in structure but should never be curly. The ears of the dog have essentially medium size wiry hair. The hair on their throat, chest and stomach is longer than on the rest of the body. The coat is available in following colors- roan, brown roan, white & chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Personality – This dog doesn’t know aggression. It’s a sweet tempered dog that thinks every human is friend. Being highly social in nature it craves for another dog in home. They treasure children and love to entertain them through their flamboyant behavior. The dog knows how to win human’s heart and will surely become a lovable member of the family. Because of their devoted nature towards family, they are suitable option for first time dog owners.
- Behavior – Hunting instinct is embedded in its personality. Birds and other non-canine animals are its prey. They love to run behind bikes and cars. The dog will never remain still. They will keep on wandering and running in the house. So it is advisable to pet the dog only if you have a farm, yard or lot of empty rooms. They bark only when necessary and are not aggressive to strangers. In short the dog has a welcoming heart.
- Trainability – Being human pleasure and smart mind, the dog is easy to train. You should be gentle and kind while training the dog. Harsh behavior can affect its mental growth. With love and kindness you can teach the dog everything. Treats and appreciation will boost the morale of the dog to perform well.
- Activities Requirement – 2 hours of vigorous exercise is must for them. They are suitable for rural lifestyle and active owner who can hunt with it and provide it exercise. Being sporty in nature they love to participate in various dog’s sport. Not to forget, the dog is an excellent swimmer and love to swim with humans.
The same routine of diet should be followed to feed this dog else it can suffer from upset stomach. If you want to change its diet do it gradually. As the dog is prone to suffer from bloat so feed a mature dog twice per day instead of feeding it one heavy meal.
Never feed the dog before or just after giving it exercise. Make sure to give proper exercise to your dog so that it can burn its excess calories. Also ensure that the dog is eating premium quality food.
The dog lives over 10 years of age.
The dog is not a hypoallergenic breed. The dog is not prone to suffer from any serious health issues. Minor health concerns of this breed is- hip and elbow dysplasia, ear infection and bloat.
This breed sheds moderately. Brace yourself to vacuum a lot. The dog’s long hair needs regular combing else it can get tangled. Brushing its coat daily can remove the mats and debris from its body. This dog is a naturally a clean dog.
It doesn’t require daily bath. Bath it only when necessary. Its ears need to be given special attention. Because of hairy ears, air doesn’t pass through it. As a result it remains moist and prone to ear infection. Clean its ear with vet approved solution.
The dog is not suited for urban lifestyle and apartment life. It needs farm where it can carry its hunting passion and can wander freely. The dog can survive in extreme cold condition because of its thick double coat. People who live in hot regions should not pet this dog.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog is social and amiable in nature. It makes great family dog
- The breed is healthy and is not prone to any major health issues
- An active owner will enjoy the company of this dog.
- The breed is not hypoallergenic in nature. People who are prone to allergies and asthmatic patients should not own this dog
- You need to devote ample amount of time to it
- Not suitable for urban lifestyle and apartment life. They need space to open up.