The Plott Hound is one of the Coonhound developed in North Carolina to hunt wild boar, bear and raccoon. It is also proficient in tracking and pointing activities. It is the best choice of dog for country dwellers because the dog needs open field and plenty of space to live happily.
Plott Hound is the only Coonhound which is not the descendant of Foxhound. The dog is a tenacious and fierce hunter and is meant for hunting big animals. The unusual coloring of its coat (brindle with black) make it unique breed.
This breed was used to hunt in pack. As a result, it is tolerant towards other animals and is peaceful with them. In fact, it craves for another dog partner at home. The dog is bestowed with strength, endurance, athletic body and smart mind.
Plotts are considered to more courageous and protective in nature than other hounds. This breed has a mind of its own. Firmness and patience is required in training them. Inexperienced dog lovers should stay away from this breed as they tend to be dominant in nature and needs strong hand.
Table of Contents
Plott Hound Origin
The Plott Hound was developed in North Caroline in 1750. This breed is a descendant of five Hanoverian Schweisshunds brought to America by German immigrant. Because of their fearlessness and tenacious hurting abilities, they became popular among the hunters and each hunter started using the breed for hunting their own interest of animals.
In Germany they were widely used to hunt boar while in America they were used to hunt bear. The dog became the national dog of North Caroline in 1946.
Plott Hound Characteristics
- The dog belongs to North Caroline and is proficient in hunting big animals.
- It is bold, loyal, courageous and energetic breed.
- The lifespan of this breed is 12 – 14 years.
- The height of the dog is 50–71 cm.
- It weighs around 23–27 kg.
- The dog mostly comes in brindle and black-brindle colors.
- The average price of this breed is $1300 – $1500 USD.
- As they are “pack animals” so they do best in home that has another dog pet.
- The dog tends to be aggressive and dominant. Experienced master is required in training them.
- It is not meant for cozy apartments. The dog needs large open space to wander and live freely.
- They require vigorous exercise to stay happy.
- The dog is not hypoallergenic.
- It sheds minimally. Once a week grooming is recommended.
- It may not necessarily be a quiet breed. It gets easily attracted to scent and may bark frequently.
Plott Hound is a powerful dog with athletic body. It has a sloppy topline that makes its head to appear high. The dog has square-shaped muzzle and teeth should meet in a scissor bite. The neck of the dog is muscular. It has large floppy ears which hang closely to its cheeks. The dog has long and well developed legs.
Size and Weight
Ideal height of the breed is 51-63 cm and weighs around 18-34 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has double coat which protects it from harsh climate and bushes. Its outer coat is coarse and lies close to its body. The undercoat should be smooth and soft. The dog comes in brindle or brindle with other colors like tan, red or black. They may sport white color on feet or chest.
Plott Hound Temperament
- Personality – Plotts are confident dogs. As they were bred to hunt large animals so they are born fearless, confident and strong. They have good-nature towards humans but do not test their limit. Small children should never be trusted with this dog. They have low tolerance towards rough play. The dogs make best playmate to adult children who can match the level of energy of dogs. This breed is meant for field. You can find them running, romping and bouncing infield while inside home their movement is restrained.
- Behavior – The dogs are pack animals so they are happiest when they have another dog partner inside home. The dogs are friendly with strangers but if they smell threat they will not think twice to attack on them. Early socialization is must for them so that do not get startled at new situation or with new people. They also tend to be barky. Apart from hunting, the dogs excel in strength and agility related dog’s competition. They make perfect companion to active families who do not fail to meet its exercise requirement even once a day.
- Activities Requirement – This breed requires lot of physical and mental workout to stay happy and healthy. They were bred to work hard in the jungle and hunt for animals. If you want to pursue hunting, it is the right choice of breed for you. Because of their robust body and adventurous mind, you can take the dog for hiking, trekking and travel. It is meant for doing intensive physical exercise, so 1-2 hours running is also suitable for it.
- Trainability – It is advisable to initiate its training as early as possible. Puppies are easy to manage than an adult dog with strong head. Obedience training, leadership training and early socialization are must for them.
Like human beings, dogs also have different nutritious need. Dietary habit of high energetic dogs differs from couch potatoes dogs.
As Plotts are highly energetic dogs so their amount of protein intake is more than other breed of dogs. You should periodically measure your dog’s weight to check if you are not over feeding your dogs.
The life expectancy of this dog is 12 – 14 years.
The dog is not hypoallergenic. It is a healthy and hearty dog with no major health issues. Minor health issues like bloat, hip dysplasia, patellar luxation can affect the dog.
Grooming and Caring
Plott Hound dog has an easy maintainable coat. It is a naturally clean dog with dirt repellent coat. The dog sheds minimally so once a week brushing is enough for it. The floppy ears of the dog are prone to yeast or fungal infection.
Check its ears regularly for any sign of infection, allergy or wax buildup. Use only vet approved cleanser to clean its ears. If the dog doesn’t wear down their nails naturally, trim it using dog’s nail-cutter. The dog is free of doggie’s smell so bathe it as required. Do not bathe it excessively else it can lose natural shine of hair. Do not forget to brush its teeth.
The dog can live in any kind of climatic conditions. It is not meant for city life or cozy apartments. The dog is best for countryside where they have open space to live freely and happily.
Plott Hound Pet Name
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog makes excellent addition to active families.
- It sheds lightly and is easy to groom.
- Even today it is still used by hunters for hunting big animals. The dog possesses excellent hunting skills.
- The dog is not easy to train as they tend to be dominant.
- It is not meant for lazy owners.
- The dog will be destructive in small apartments. The more the space, the better for dog to survive.