The Pont-Audemer Spaniel is a resilient, outgoing and friendly gundog with the embedded talent to prey upon waterfowl. Presently the future of this breed is bleak. Earlier it was developed to be dedicated spaniel breed but breeders failed to achieve desired result so they stopped its evolution.
The survival of this breed in long run is dicey. Only few hundred breeds are born every year. The dog has bangs of long curly hair on the top of its head and ears which appears as if it is wearing a wig. This gives the dog distinctive look which no other dogs possess.
The dog makes excellent hunting animal as well as companion pet. It is extremely dedicated t it owners and devoid of owner’s love and attention will make it prone to separation anxiety. The dog is full of vigor and is friendly with kids. However, it is necessary to teach your kids that even four-legged animals deserve respectful treatment.
The dog is tolerable of other pets at home. Small non canine animals like birds, rats and rabbits are always under threat. If you’re an experienced owner who can commit to dog’s daily need of energy outlet, then it is the right choice of pet for you.
The dog belongs to Pont-Audemer region of France and was developed in 19th century. It is believed that this breed is result of cross mating English Water Spaniel and the Irish Water Spaniel with local sporting dogs including Setters.
This breed is also referred to as the “little clown of the marshes”. The Pont-Audemer Spaniel was common among French nomads but after world wars, it lost its status even in its home country.
- The breed belongs to French and is a hunting dog.
- It is good natured, lively, fearless and dedicated dog.
- The lifespan of this breed is 12-14 years.
- The height of the dog is 50-58 cm.
- The weight of the breed is 20-27 kg.
- The dog comes in black and brown and white colors.
- The average price of this breed is $500 - $700 USD.
- This breed is not hypoallergenic.
- The dog needs infrequent grooming. It sheds low to average.
- The dog requires high intensive exercise on daily basis to stay happy and healthy.
- The dog is easy to train because it is smart and extremely affectionate towards its owner.
- This breed was used by hunters to collect dead bodies of birds.
- You need to have at least an average sized yard to own this breed as they need space to express themselves.
- The dog is friendly to kids and animals.
The Pont-Audemer Spaniel is stocky, muscular and compact dog. The skull of the dog is round and covered with long and curly topknot. The muzzle is long, pointed and well-developed. The eyes of the dog are small yet expressive. It is either of amber or hazel color.
It has floppy ears which are profusely covered with curly hair. The dog’s chest is broad with straight back. The tail of the dog is docked and has curly hairs. Overall the dog gives the impression of gentleness and intelligence.
Size and Weight
The average height of the dog is 20-23 inches and weight is around 44-60 lbs. irrespective of the gender.
Coat and Color
The coat of the dog gives it unique appearance. The dog’s forehead and ears are covered with curly topknots which appear as if it is wearing a wig. The hair on its body is mix of curly and wavy hair. The hair tends to be smooth, short and shiny on face. The dog comes in brownish or greyish chestnut colors.
- Personality - The dog is calm, gentle and affectionate towards everyone in house. It will even welcome strangers with warm heart. The dog is too kind to be reliable guard dog or watch dog. Though you can train it to bark when someone is at the door but it is not a born watchdog. It adores kids and loves to be their playmate. The dog is peaceful with other animals as well. Inside home it remains serene and composed but on hunting spot it transforms itself in to a wild beast.
- Behavior - The dog was bred to hunt and work in stiff and rocky environment. It is fun loving and has clownish personality which will definitely give you a belly laugh. Because of their high energy needs, it is advisable to own this breed only if you are an active owner who loves to lead adventurous life. If you only want a companion dog, this breed will be too much for you because they need meaningful activity to do. Nothing makes it happier than being a useful member for its family. It is not a dog that will happily accept sedentary lifestyle.
- Activities Requirement - Being spaniel breed bloodline, the dog loves to swim. Swimming is a great option to outlet its energy. You can take this dog for hunting in any weather and harsh surroundings. If you’re not pursuing hunting with the dog, make sure to give the dog daily dose of vigorous exercise and mental stimulation.
- Training - The dog does have a mind of its own but is also an eager to please dog. This makes training easy. It is important to teach the dog its position in the pack to have a steady minded dog inside home.
It is important to give proper dose of food to your dog because food determines the health of dog. Packaged food contains carbohydrates which can be non-digestible for dog, so it is imperative to feed him biological food. Dogs should be fed raw food like lobster, fish etc., raw food contains all the vitamins and minerals that it requires.
The dog lives up to 12 to 14 years of age.
The breed is not hypoallergenic in nature. Its health concerns include - ear infections, glaucoma, septic meningitis, patellar luxation, hip dysplasia, and persistent papillary membranes.
The dog’s coat needs very primitive care. You only need to brush its coat once a week to make it look well groomed and tidy. Bath is not necessary but it is advisable to wipe its coat with wet towel after every hunting adventure.
You can also bath it two-three times a year. Dental hygiene is recommended to keep its teeth and gums healthy. Check its ears on regular basis for any signs of infection or redness. Use vet approved solution to clean its ear.
The breed is exuberant and extrovert in nature. It needs lot of empty space to live happily. A garden area, lawn or yard is necessary for the breed to thrive. The breed can tolerate any climate.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The breed is fun loving and outgoing; perfect for pet lovers who loves to spend time with dogs.
- The breed can be your companion on hunting related activities.
- It is easy to groom.
- The breed is not suitable for inactive owners or first time owners of dog specie.
- It is not hypoallergenic breed.
- It needs ample amount of space to thrive.