The Kuvasz breed hails from Hungary. It is a cute and cuddly white dog. The dog is protective of its family and suspicious towards strangers. The dog requires a spacious room and secured fence where he can express himself. It has a loud and deep barking voice which is enough to make the intruders think twice before invading a property.
It is necessary to sow the seeds of socialization in its mind so that it can remain polite with acceptable guests and friends. The breeds require frequent expose to new people and surroundings so that its territorial and protective instincts remain under control.
It is a beautiful looking dog that is also referred to as “fashion dog”. Any person can get lost in its beauty but this dog is not for everyone. Being a guard dog, it is independent minded and strong headed animal which requires experienced owner to tame it. The dog is extremely barky especially at night because at that time he becomes more vigilant. However older dogs are calm and composed.
Table of Contents
Kuvasz is one of the oldest breed of Hungary. Speculation is that the breed came to Hungary with Magyar tribes. The dog has derived its name from Turkish word kawasz which means bodyguard. The dog has a royal history. In 15th century it became the most lovable dog after king Matthias owned one.
At the time of conspiracy against the king, he trusted no one but his dog. After the death of king, the dog became prized possession of farmers and horseman. They used the dog for protection of farms and properties.
Kuvasz Dog Characteristics
- The breed belongs to Hungary and is a guard dog.
- Lifespan of the breed is 10-12 years.
- It is an independent, fearless, reserved, protective and loyal dog.
- The height of the dog is 71-76 cm.
- It weighs around 45-52 kg.
- Average price of the puppy is $1200 – $1500 USD.
- The dog requires confidant and experienced owner who knows the nature and requirements of this breed and can handle it wisely.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog sheds heavily especially at the time of seasonal change. You’re supposed to brush its coat daily.
- The breed requires large yard to thrive.
- It tends to be protective and playful towards family kids.
- The dogs have a beautiful, curly and white coat.
- The dog makes excellent guard dog and watch dog.
- The dog requires vigorous exercise on daily basis.
It is a large sized sheepdog. It has a balanced and muscular body. Head of the dog contributes a lot in giving it beautiful look. It has a wedged shaped forehead with a well-developed muzzle with a definite stop.
The dog has a sweet look on its face. Its eyes are dark, expressive and almond shaped. Ears of the dog are v-shaped and hang down. The tail of the dog is naturally carried low and gets lifted towards the end.
Size and Weight
Ideal size of the male breed is 28 to 30 inches and that of female breed is 26 to 28 inches. Male weigh around 100 to 115 pounds and female weight is around 70 to 90 pounds.
Coat and Color
The dog has a thick, double coat of white color. Undercoat is soft while topcoat is frizzy and coarse. Its hair can be wavy or straight. The hair on its forehead and face is smooth and fine while on the neck and chest region, it is comparatively longer and forms mane.
- Personality – The dog has an aristocratic look and a rich history. It was the favorite guard dog of noble men of Hungary. They are fiercely protective of its family member. They also have good pain tolerance level which means they are patient with kids who play roughly and want to ride its back. It also makes excellent watchdog and takes its duty with full responsibility. The dog will never befriend stranger even if stranger tries to lure it with food treats. It is immensely faithful and honest to its family members.
- Behavior – The dog is calm and reserved inside home but it craves for outside environment with its family. They are most vigilant at night so never leave your dog outside house during night because they will think they are kept on guard and watch duty and will bark incessantly and disturb your peace of mind. Teach your dog no bark command to maintain harmonious relationship with neighbors. With family pets they will co-exist peacefully but with strange animals they may react aggressively and may chase to kill them. Keep the dog on leash when you’re taking it out. Similarly the dog is suspicious of strange kids and its protective instinct will awake if they play roughly with your child.
- Training – The dog is challenging to train. It requires a firm hand to tame it. Establish leader in your dog’s mind and teach it hierarchy in family. The dog should mentally understand the fact that the human is always the leader irrespective of size. Obedience training, socialization lesson and no bark command are must to teach them.
- Activities Requirement – They are fairly active dogs and needs minimum 1 hour of play. It loves to play fetch game and games that involves ball. You will never see the dog relaxing at field. It is a true country dog that needs lot of space to romp, jump and run.
The dog is active and large sized. It needs quality food that is rich in proteins and minerals. Feed your dog natural raw food like meat, bacon, fish and beef.
The dog can live up to 10-12 years.
Images, Pics, Photos & Pictures Of kuvasz Dog
It is not hypoallergenic dog. The dog may suffer from deafness, ligament injury, hypothyroidism, hip dysplasia and progressive retinal atrophy.
The dog sheds profusely and shedding increases at the time of seasonal change. Its coat is water resistant which helps the dog to withstand cold temperature. Brush its coat daily followed by combing to minimize dead hair. You can also use conditioner which will prevent mats formation.
The dog’s coat contains oil, so don’t bath it excessively else it can lose the natural oil. Bath the dog only when it has become excessively dirty. Brush its teeth with clinical approved cleanser and trim its nails if it has become long.
It is a countryside dog that needs ample of space to express itself. If you plan to keep it in urban area make sure that you have spacious room with a fenced yard. The dog thrives in cool environment.
Kuvasz Pet Names
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog makes excellent watch dog and guard dog.
- It is a suitable breed for kids.
- The dog makes great family dog as it is immensely loyal and affectionate towards its family.
- The dog is not hypoallergenic.
- It is not an animal friendly dog.
- The dog requires large space to thrive happily.