The Picardy Spaniel is one of the oldest spaniel breed. It is the most sought after dog for pointing, retrieving and hunting in France and its neighboring country. The dog also makes wonderful family dog because of its sweet and calm nature.
It is incredibly loyal towards its master and form close bonds with its family member. It is also the right choice of breed for kids as it tends to be patience and playful around them. The dog is docile with humans and is highly trainable.
It may not be suitable for small dogs because of its retrieving instincts but overall it is peaceful with dogs of its own size. Inside home, it remains like a good mannered boy but once it is taken to hunting spot it turns into wild beast who doesn’t even hesitate to jump into water or bushy area. If you’re a novice owner and wants a dog with which you can pursue hunting, this breed is the right choice for you because of its easy going nature.
Table of Contents
Picardy Spaniel Origin
The dog hails from France and is a popular gun dog in its native place. Paintings and scriptures proves that the dog belongs to period before French Revolution. It is believed to be the oldest continental breed.
In the 19th century when British came to France, they brought with themselves English spaniel breeds and hunting dogs including English Setter. These English breeds were crossed with Picardy Spaniel which changes the appearance and temperament of Picardy. This also led to the development of ‘blue Picardy Spaniel’.
Picardy Spaniel Characteristics
- The breed belongs to France and is a gun dog.
- It is friendly, sweet, bold and energetic dog.
- The lifespan of this breed is 12 to 14 years.
- It weighs around 20–25 kg.
- The dog stands at a height of 55–62 cm.
- It comes in grey and brown color.
- The average price of this breed is $600 – $800 USD.
- The dog thrives in an apartment living because of its calm and composed nature but an average sized yard is best for it.
- It is an energetic dog and needs daily dose of exercise to stay happy and healthy.
- The dog is not hypoallergenic.
- It sheds averagely.
- Grooming needs of the dog is simple and easy.
- The dog is not barky. It barks whenever necessary.
- It is easy to train because it is a people oriented dog.
- It is a peaceful breed for animals of its size.
- The dog is suitable for families with kids.
The Picardy Spaniel is a muscular dog with powerful buildup body. The dog has oval shaped face with long and strong muzzle. The eyes are almond shaped and brown in color. The nose of the dog is of fresh color and well developed. The dog has large sized hanging ears which are profusely covered with wavy hair. Its chest is deep and strong and the topline is leveled. The tail of the dog is curved.
Size and Weight
The male breed stands at a height of 55 to 62 cm while female breed stands at a height of 55 to 60 cm. The weight of the breed is 20 to 25 kg irrespective of gender.
Coat and Color
The dog is single coated and body is densely covered with medium length hair which is slightly harsh to touch. The texture of the hair can be straight, wavy or slightly curly. The dog sports feathered kind of hair on tail and back legs. The ears of the dog mostly have long wavy hairs. The dog comes in grey and brown color.
- Personality – The Picardy Spaniel is a beautiful French dog which is quiet and easy to manage. They are extremely affectionate towards humans and crave for their touch throughout their lives. They become immensely close with its family member and want to be part of all family activities. Because of their well-behaved nature, you can take them out on family picnic or tour. This breed is naturally social breed and doesn’t mind another animal at home. In fact, they love to interact with other animals.
- Behavior – The dogs have high prey drive. They are tenacious hunter and hard worker dogs. The dog is always alert and make reliable watchdog. It adores kids and loves to play with them. As they were bred to hunt in extreme climatic conditions and Rocky Mountains so they are the most resilient French breed. They are tough hunters and wouldn’t mind going to damp areas for hunting. The dogs have incredible skills in retrieving and pointing. They also do wonders in obedience and rally competitions. This breed is not at all aggressive and even treats strangers with affection.
- Activities Requirement – Nothing can make this breed happier than hunting. Occasionally pursue hunting with this dog because this is what it was bred for. This dog was bred to hard work so it requires high intensity workout in order to maintain its mental happiness. Because of their tough personality, you can take the dog on hiking, trekking and adventurous tour.
- Trainability – This dog tends to be a follower of master’s command. They never try to test the patience of master and are very obedient breed. As they are sensitive in nature, so be gentle during the training program. Treats and appreciation will push the dog to work even more hard in learning the lessons. You can easily teach advanced tricks and skills to them.
The size, weight and activity level of dog are the factors that determines it meal. A more active needs more food than a couch potato. Feed this dog raw meat and bones. Occasionally you can give it dog’s biscuit which are its favorite food item. You can feed it vegetables and boiled eggs so that it can achieve optimum health.
They live up to 12 to 14 years of age.
This breed is not hypoallergenic. It is healthy breed and any serious health issues haven’t been found in this dog. Few of common health concerns related to dogs are hip dysplasia, ear infection, eye problems and hyperthyroidism.
They are easy to groom. The dogs shed moderately and daily brushing is enough to keep the dead hair in control. Brushing its teeth daily will make its teeth and gums healthy and bad smell will be at bay.
If you hear tapping sound on the floor immediately cut its nails. It is important to regularly check its ears because of heavy and wavy hair, chances of developing wax and infection increases. Clean the ear from solution provided by vet.
The dog can survive in any kind of climate. It is suitable to live in house which is accompanied with yard.
Picardy Spaniel Pet Names
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog is a tenacious hunter. It has outstanding skills in hunting, retrieving and pointing activities.
- The dog makes beautiful addition to active family.
- It makes excellent watchdog.
- The dog is suitable for someone who can commit to its daily dose of exercise. It is not meant for owner who follows sedentary lifestyle.
- It is prone to suffer from separation anxiety.
- This breed is not hypoallergenic.