Canaan Dog is a pariah dog and is naturally watchful, alert and inquisitive. It has survived in the toughest conditions in deserts of Israel for many centuries. It is loyal as well as loving dog. It has a decent appearance. It is balanced and moderate without extremes and hence shows a perfect outline. It comes with a wedge shaped head, high brush tail, low set ears and a harsh, straight and flat lying double coat.
Canaan Dog Facts For Kids and Information :
Table of Contents
- Maintenance is very easy. It only requires infrequent grooming to keep it good. No need of stripping or trimming.
- Shedding is moderate. Regular brushing can help. Be ready to vacuum often.
- Training is not easy. So, it isn’t a good option for the first time dog owners. You need to be patient and preserved to train it adequately.
- It has a good watchdog ability. It will bark you when it will realize some intruder is here. It is considered as a good guardian and is protective.
- It requires daily exercise for in house living. It is a strong breed and can handle all sorts of cold and hold weather.
- It is highly active. Give him proper exercise daily so that it can maintain its shape. Active and committed owners will surely enjoy being with it as it will be a perfect fitness partner.
- It is a good option if you have little experience with dogs in the past.
- It has a loving nature and is suitable for kids. It is energetic, playful and affectionate around the kids.
- Puppy Price: Average $800 – $1200 USD.
Canaan Dog Diet :
Canaan Dog must be fed twice each day. The meal should be split into two parts. 1.5 to 2 cups of best quality food are highly essential for it each day. The suitable diet for your Canaan dog is real food. It includes real beef, chicken, venison, turkey, bison and fish. Small amount of fresh fruits and vegetables can also be given. Eggs or yogurt can also be fed occasionally.
Canaan Dog Behavior and Temperament :
Canaan dogs are highly devoted and extremely protective of their families. These dogs are naturally mistrustful of intruders and will announce at the earliest in case any unknown is present in the territory. They aren’t over aggressive but are brave enough to overcome any situation. All these qualities make this dog a perfect guard dog. One thing that should be kept in mind is that the dog shouldn’t know or feel that their owner is the captain of the ship. Owners need to take care of that. If you are unable to do so, you may experience an over aggressive behavior. It is a social and friendly breed and will feel very happy when housed with huge family and other dogs. They enjoy company of children and are naturally protective towards them. However, it is not for the strange children. They can be mistrusting of strange children. Hence, it is important to train Canaan socially from early ages with humans and other animals so that it knows what to do in different situations.
These dogs are not huge dogs. They are medium sized and sturdy dogs. It has a bushy tail that curls over their backs. The almond shaped eyes are expressive and are mostly described as inquisitive. Their fee are round and has hard pads. Double coat helps them protect themselves from all sorts of extreme climatic conditions. They are white with a mask, white with patches of other color or may be a solid color. These solid colors can be from brown to black, red, liver or sandy.
Canaan dog has a life span of 12 to 15 years.
Canaan Dog Health Issues :
They have the potential to develop genetic health issues as many of the other dogs. Generally, canaan dog is a healthy breed and chances of health issues are minimum but some of the conditions that have been seen in these dogs include hypothyroidism, retinal atrophy, elbow and hip Dysplasia, cryptorchidism and epilepsy. To take good care of your dog, it is essential that you go for a medical checkup regularly. You need to take care of your dog and protect him from a common issue i.e. obesity. Maintaining its weight is one of the best ways to extend his life span. Most of you can do it easily.
Grooming canaan dog is a snap. These dogs shed lightly throughout the year. Proper brushing is essential to keep loose minimum hairs and will also keep coat healthier. Canaan is likely to shed more heavily twice a year depending on the climatic conditions and you may need to brush more frequently. Canaan dog is clean and decent. It doesn’t emit any doggie odor which means that it doesn’t requires frequent bathing. I will need few baths throughout the year. Ears should be checked once in ten days to ensure there are no irritations or signs of redness. It is essential to brush the teeth often to eliminate bad breath and promote healthier gums.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Canaan Dog :
The canaan dogs are heavy shedders. A time or two will come in a year when they will shed a lot of hairs and you will find hairs all over your place. Hairs will stuck to almost anything. Chances are that you may even find it in the butter. Proper brushing can help reducing the shedding.
Canaan dog has a sharp mind. It is intelligent and that’s what makes it easier for the owners to train it. It learns new things quickly at a rate above average.
Canaan Dog Characteristics :
- Adaptability : It adapts well to apartment living. It can survive in extreme hot and cold climatic conditions. It moderately tolerates being alone.
- Friendly : Overall it is a friendly breed. It is highly affectionate towards family. Not at all friendly towards strangers.
- Grooming : Easy to groom. General health is excellent.
- Trainability : Easy to train. Highly intelligent.
- Exercise Needs : It needs daily exercise to maintain its health.
- Height : 1 feet 7 inches approximately
- Weight : A healthy dog weighs between 35 to 55 pounds.