Kyi-Leo is a small yet quirky dog and more like cat in its movement. The dog is swift and light on its feet. It is obedient and makes great family pet. If you’re a novice owner and wants steady minded pet with mild energy, Kyi-Leo is the right choice of breed for you. Despite being small in stature, it is agile and quick and excels in dog’s sport.
Appearance wise it is similar Shih Tzu breed but have more defined features than it. It is an ideal dog for indoor environment because they are extremely patient and good mannered inside home.
They outperform in dog’s obedience training. Training the dog is easy because they are good listeners and human pleasure. The dog can tolerate moderate cold and heat temperature. They shouldn’t be domesticated in areas having extreme climate conditions. They have majestic coat which sheds less. If you’re cleanliness obsessed and doesn’t want dog’s hair lying everywhere you can own this breed. The dog is hypoallergenic, hence suitable for ones suffering from asthma or any other allergies.
The breed hails from San Francisco, CA, USA. It was developed accidently when Lhasa Apso mated with Maltese. It is also called by name Maltese Lion dog. Harriet Linn, a renowned breeder chose the name for this breed and got it recognized by American Rare Breed Association. The word “Kyi” means dog in Tibet and “Leo” stands for lion in Latin.
Kyi Leo Characteristics
- The breed belongs to USA and is a companion dog.
- It is active, calm, forgiving and intelligent breed.
- Unlike other small breeds, they are not hyperactive or vocal. They do not bark unnecessary.
- They are suitable for apartment life. They are well mannered and obedient breed.
- Life expectancy of this breed is 12 to 15 years.
- The dog is 20-30 cm tall.
- It weighs around 4-6 kg.
- The dog comes in black-white and gold and silver colors.
- Average cost of the puppy is $600 – $800 USD.
- The dog is highly adaptable, only thing it needs in life is human companionship.
- They are known to be friendly and playful around children.
- They do not have demanding exercise needs. A walk round the park and few hours play with kids is enough for them.
- The dog’s coat is high maintenance. Grooming should be done daily. You can take professional help for trimming and stripping.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog sheds minimally. Good breed for those who do not want to deal with dog’s hair.
- They are good listeners and respond well to training.
- It makes good watchdog.
Kyi-Leo looks similar to Shih Tzu except the eyes. Kyi-Leo eyes are deeply set unlike Shih Tzu who has bulging eyes. They are similar in size and have similar kind of coat. Leo is small yet sturdily built up muscular dog.
The dog has delicate legs because of its size but that doesn’t stop them from being agile. Make sure that the dog jumps from high position. The dog has eyebrows and beard which make it look wise. Face of the dog is wide with small sized muzzle. The dog has bushy tail which hangs straight on its back.
Size and Weight
This breed is 20-30 cm tall and weighs around 4-6 kg. The dog is longer than tall.
Coat and Color
The dog has wiry coat of medium length which can grow even longer if left untrimmed for longer time period. Their coat is silky and soft to touch. Generally, the dog comes in white and black color. Gold and silver color is also common.
It is a high maintenance dog even though it sheds less. Its coat requires intensive care. The hair of the dog tends to grow, so it is imperative to trim its hair on regular basis to give it clean and tidy look.
Twice a year you are also supposed to strip its hair so that new and healthy hair could grow. Brush the dog once a month to make it coat dirt and mats free. Cleaning its ears, brushing its teeth and trimming its nails should also be a part of grooming regime.
Kyi Leo Temperament
- Personality – Kyi-Leo is a cute little cuddly breed. It is friendly, obedient and quiet The breed has a forgiving nature and even temperament. The dog lacks aggression. It is not at all yappy like other small breeds. The dog is playful around people it trusts and love. With strangers they are wary but once they get used to of any person they will welcome them by wagging tail. They are well mannered inside home and don’t tend to run or jump. The dog loves to sit on human’s lap and get caressed by them.
- Behavior – The dog has a gentle behavior towards everyone. It can co-exist peacefully with other animals. They are cheerful and playful with children. Being a keen listener and attentive, they make good watch dog. No doubt that they are super cute but if you do not devote your time they become destructive just to grab your attention. They develop close bonds with their loved ones and do not want to get separated from them even for a moment.
- Activities Requirement – They are not so demanding when it comes to exercise. They have decent energy in their body. Outdoor walk or play with kids is what they only demand for. The dog has strong paws and it loves to play fetch games. Make sure to conduct its exercise daily so that it can burn its extra calorie.
- Trainability – The dog is very easy to train. Any new dog owner can train this specie. They are human pleasure and willfully learn things taught to them. They are docile natured, so never use harsh techniques on them. Result will come gradually, do not get impatient and resort to physical correction.
It is important to feed your dog diet that is rich in calcium and vitamin D because that can make its dental health and bones stronger. Bones and meat are necessary to feed your dog. This breed tends to eat with open heart so make sure you don’t over feed your dog. Keeping fresh water around its area is necessary so that it doesn’t get dehydrated.
The dog can live up to 10 to 15 years depending upon your care.
The dog is hypoallergenic in nature. Its health issues include – allergies, hip dysplasia and patellar luxation, ear infections and snuffles.
Kyi Leo Habitat
The dog can live in moderate temperature regions. It is well suited for apartment living and urban lifestyle.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is one of the best companion dogs having even temperament.
- The dog is easy to train. It responds to commands of owner well.
- It is hypoallergenic in nature.
- It has a high maintenance coat.
- The dog has delicate joints and leg muscles.
- It is not meant for busy people who cannot give time to their pet.