The American Mastiff looks very similar to English Mastiff since they both have the same color and size. The only difference between an American Mastiff and an English Mastiff is that the American Mastiff has a much drier mouth. They are the giants that are gentle and loving at the same time.
These dogs are extremely loving and affectionate towards children and other family members. They are also friendly and understanding. American Mastiff can be easily home trained and they are not aggressive towards the strangers.
Table of Contents
American Mastiff Dog Facts and Information
- American Mastiff is a strong dog breed. They are huge giants who are gentle, loving, and extremely affectionate.
- These dogs have a muscular back and powerful neck.
- They are a cross breed of English Mastiff and Anatolian Mastiff.
- The American Mastiff is tender, kind, and caring towards children.
- The grooming comes easy as these dogs have shorthaired coats.
- They can weigh from 140 to 200 pounds.
- The height of American Mastiff is 28 to 36 inches tall.
- The life expectancy of the American Mastiff is 10 to 12 years.
- The head of an American Mastiff is wide and rectangular
- The have three colors- fawn, apricot, and brindle.
- These dogs are non-aggressive, loyal, and kind-hearted.
- They are a healthy breed. There never has been reported any health issues with the American Mastiff.
- They can be easily trained at home. These giants are gentle in nature and thus do not demand strong and dominant trainers.
- Puppy price: average $1000-$1500
American Mastiff is a giant but not aggressive in nature. They are known to be very friendly and affectionate. They are understanding, loving, and calm dogs. They are non-aggressive but defend the family under difficult circumstances. However, these dogs can sometimes become uncontrollable. They need to be given proper training of obedience for a better maintenance and relationship building with the owners.
The lifecycle of the American Mastiff is between 10 and 12 years.
The American Mastiff is a cross breed of English Mastiff and Anatolian Mastiff. The females give birth to 2 to 5 puppies at once. They are an unpredictable mixture and it cannot be predicted what color, size, shape, height, coat and temperament the puppies should have.
American Mastiff Appearance
The American Mastiff is a huge giant dog. They have a wide and rectangular head. Their eyes are of amber color. It is said that the darker the color of the eyes, the better they look. They can weigh from 140 to 200 pounds. The height of American Mastiff is 28 to 36 inches tall.
These dogs are massive and strong built. These dogs have a muscular back and powerful neck. It is hard to predict the shape, color and temperament of the next generation due to the history of their origin.
American Mastiff has never been reported to have a health issue. They are a happy and healthy breed of dogs. They generally do well with regular walks in the backyard. But as they grow old, they start becoming lazier. They start acting like couch potatoes and stay restricted in a small yard.
They are high maintenance dogs. Owners would be taking a huge responsibility when they bring home an American Mastiff. They should be taken care of like a small baby and not be misunderstood for their huge and immense structure.
These dogs have been originated in USA. They are a cross breed of English Mastiff and Anatolian Mastiff. As these dogs are a new breed, there never has been reported a health issue with these dogs. They have the qualities of both English Mastiff and Anatolian Mastiff.
These giants do not require a dominant and strong trainer. They can be easily trained at home. The grooming does not demand much from the owners. They are a cross breed of English Mastiff and Anatolian Mastiff. Bathing these dogs would not be easy as they are huge and massive. These giants can completely drench you in soapy water.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures Of American Mastiff :
The shorthaired coat can be easily groomed. These dogs should be combed and brushed using a brittle brush. Once or twice, a week combing would be more than enough for an American Mastiff. Hence they require very little amount of maintenance. Their teeth should be cleaned and nail should be cut regularly.
Temperament and Personality
American Mastiff is a loving and affectionate dog breed. They are deeply attached to children since they are very friendly. They do not usually get hyperactive or defensive when exposed to the strangers, and these dogs are socially very active.
Aggression is a strong personality trait of these dogs. Sometimes, they can become violent and aggressive, especially under the owners who have not been dominant and controlling towards them. They should be trained under proper guidance for ensuring optimum results.
American Mastiff Characteristics
- Though they are protective towards the family members, they are not guard dogs.
- The American Mastiff is often referred to as the Gentle Giant.
- The large size and weight of the American Mastiff can lead to high maintenance costs.
- These dogs can consume up to 70 pounds of food a month.
- Training for obedience is necessary for American Mastiff since an untrained dog can create problems for the owners.
- This breed loves to go for walks. Some of them also enjoy swimming and hiking. They are the perfect companion for marathons.
- These dogs should be socialized extensively and they need to be taken out regularly. They should be exposed to all kinds of situations to make them feel comfortable in all situations.
- They need a place for their own where they can be just left alone. They are independent and smart animals loved by all.
- A dog bed along with your bed would be a perfect idea to show love for your American Mastiff.
- They are an unpredictable mixture and thus their color, size, shape, height, coat and temperament are hard to predict.
- They can become uncontrollably dominating dogs if they are not properly taken care of.