The Russian Toy breed is a perfect choice of dog for someone who wants a little dog with big personality. The dog is lively, high spirited and extremely vocal. It reacts to everything in the surrounding by barking. The dog has fine bones with lean muscles which makes it only 1.3-2.7 kg in weight.
Many people get confused between this breed and Chihuahua because of similar appearance. However, Russian toy tends to be less rambunctious and yappy than Chihuahua.
This breed comes in two variants of coat- smooth coated and long coated. Both the type of coat sheds less and is easy to groom. This breed is one of the smallest breed in world but not with diminutive personality.
It is active and cheerful like big dogs. The dog gets immensely attached to its owner and is incredibly loyal to them. It has insatiable desire to hunt rats and will keep your house rodents and pests free. This breed can even act as guard dog. It will protect its loved ones from perceived danger.
Russian Toy Origin
The English Toy Terriers were popular in Russia. Because of ongoing war their shipping stopped at Russia. When the breeders got access to foreign dogs, they found out that ETT had developed a new look. They named that dog Russian Toy Terrier and eventually Russian Toy.
In 1958 another variant of the dog was developed. Two smooth-haired dogs cross mated which gave birth to a spectacular looking male puppy with fringes on Ears and moderately long hair. The long haired variant of the dog was named Moscow Longhaired Toy Terrier as breeders from Moscow played vital role in its development.
Russian Toy Characteristics
- The dog belongs to Russia and is a companion dog, watchdog and rat hunter.
- The lifespan of this breed is 11-13 years.
- The dog is active, loyal, lively and protective in nature.
- The height of the dog is 20-26 cm.
- It weighs around 1.3-2.7 kg.
- The dog comes in black-tan, blue and brown colors.
- The average price of the dog is $600 – $800 USD.
- It is suitable dog for apartment living and urban life.
- The dog tends to be playful, friendly, cheerful around children.
- This breed lacks aggression towards other dogs.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog shed averagely. It requires primitive care of its coat.
- It is moderately easy to train as it loves to please its master.
- Despite being small, the dog is active and requires regular walking.
The Russian Terrier is the smallest breed of the world. The dog has an athletic and lean body. Its head is small with well-developed blunt muzzle. The eyes of the dog are large and the ears are large comparatively to body proportion.
The dog has triangular shaped ears which is set atop its head. The neck of the dog is slightly arched with leveled topline. In the countries where docking is prohibited, the dogs have curved tail. Overall the dog gives a cute and sweet impression.
Size and Weight
It is a tiny breed that weighs pretty less. The dog stands at a height of 20 cm and 28 cm and the average weight is 1-3kg.
Coat and Color
This breed comes in two variants of coat – smooth-coated and long-coated. The smooth coated dogs have short and glossy coat which is coarse to touch. It lies close to its body.
The long coated dogs have longer hair along with fringes and featherings on ears, legs and tail. The fringes develop fully till the age of 3-4 years. It can be straight or slight wavy. The smooth or long coated puppies can be born from same mother. The dog comes in black-tan, blue and brown colors.
- Personality – The Russian Toy is known to be perky, friendly and active. They get along with every member of the family irrespective of age. With kids they are cheerful and always ready for play. They can be super companion to elderly people. They even love to interact with other animals particularly dogs and cats. At the time of dreadful situation, they are even ready to jump in and protect its loved ones.
- Behavior – The dog can be constant companion as its small size increases its portability. They have an easy going and calm personality which makes them wonderful family pet. The dog is an excellent rat hunter. It will fill your house with joy and laughter. Some dogs can be shy or wary of strangers. However, they are not vicious dogs. It will never harm or bite strangers unless it is provoked to the level of intolerance. The dog is always vigilant and alert which makes them excellent watchdog.
- Activities Requirement – The Russian Toy requires their fair share of exercise and mental stimulation. Keep the dog’s mind preoccupied with interesting toys. Allow them to play in evening with kids. Regularly take the dog for walk, this will keep their body healthy and mind fresh. As the dog loves to befriend other animals, so take it to Doggies Park where it can meet and greet other dogs.
- Training – Love can make the dogs learn anything. Be gentle on them and have patience. The dogs can get easily command over basic obedience and simple tricks. Socialization is necessary so that they don’t turn out to be timid in font of strangers.
The dog is energetic with high metabolism. It needs good quantity of food similar to any medium sized dog. Apart from feeding meat and bones, feed it cottage cheese, boiled eggs and fruits. However, it should not be more than 10% of its diet.
The dog can live up to 11-13 years.
- Puli : Lively and Playful Dog
- Pumi – Sheepdog From Hungary
- Kuvasz – A Flock Guarding Dog
- Labrador Retriever – Well-mannered Gun Dog
It is not a hypoallergenic dog. There are no known likely major health issues which the breed is prone to. However, being small in size, they are more likely to break their bones and suffer from patellar luxation. Some might experience teeth issue too.
The long-coated dog requires more care than smooth-coated dog. It also needs to be bathed much often than smooth coated dog. It is advisable to brush its fringes daily to avoid tangled hair.
The smooth coated dog should be brushed weekly with bristle brush. It is necessary to bath it once a month. While bathing, take care of their big and open ears as water can get inside it which can lead to fungal infection. Periodically check its ears and clean it with vet approved solution.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures Of Russian Toy
The dog can thrive in apartment life. They are hardy and healthy and have warm coat to tolerate the cold weather of Russia. It can also live in warm climate.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog makes wonderful companion as it forms close attachment to its family.
- It is proficient in killing rats and other rodents or insects found in household.
- It makes excellent watchdog.
- This breed is not hypoallergenic.
- They are more likely to get their bones fractured if jumped from high place. You need constantly supervise its activities.
- The dog requires constant companionship for happiness.