The Polish Lowland Sheepdog is a medium sized athletic dog with shaggy coat. Along with physical exercise, the dog needs mental stimulation in the form of advanced obedience class and agility courses.
With sufficient exercise, it remains calm inside home but need at least an average sized yard to thrive happily inside home. It makes vigilant watchdog and reliable guard dog. The dog is wary of strangers and even neighbor’s kids. It tends to be dominant towards other dogs especially with same sex.
- Puli : Lively and Playful Dog
- Pumi – Sheepdog From Hungary
- Boxer Dog
- Blue Lacy
- American Pit Bull Terrier
They are confident breed who bred to take decision on their own while guarding and herding sheep in the field. This dog has a “never give up” attitude. It is not recommended for novice owner because managing the breed requires strong and experienced hand.
Its shaggy coat easily attracts dirt and debris so not a good choice for fastidious housekeepers. As it is a rare breed, so waiting list and price of this dog is high.
The Polish Lowland Sheepdog also called Pon is a working breed of Poland. The dog was particularly used to herd and guard sheep on the lowland plains of Poland. Though exact origin about its development is unknown but few archaeologists believe that the dog is descendant of Puli and other central Asian dogs like Tibetan mastiff.
The dog got its recognition from AKC in 2001. This dog is popular in Poland but rare to rest of the world. In Poland it is kept as household companion but the herding instincts of this dog is still intact.
Polish Lowland Sheepdog Characteristics
- The dog belongs to Poland and is a sheepdog.
- It is a confident, protective, energetic and hardworking dog.
- The lifespan of this breed is 10-12 years.
- The height of the dog is 41-51 cm.
- It weighs around 14-23 kg
- The dog comes in black, brown, grey and white colors.
- The average price of this breed is $1500 – $2000 USD.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog is suitable to live in spacious apartment because if exercised well it remains calm inside home.
- It doesn’t bark unnecessarily.
- It is a suitable breed for kids provided kids respect dog’s personal space.
- The dog requires intensive care of its coat.
- It is a healthy breed and is less likely to suffer from major diseases.
- The dog requires vigorous exercise on daily basis.
- If the dog is raised with this breed, it tends to be peaceful else it may get dominant with other dogs.
- The dog sheds minimally.
Pon is compact and muscular dogs with shaggy coat hanging all around their body. They are quite fluffy to look. The dog has wide face with wedged shaped small muzzle. Its eyes are deep and brown.
The ears are of medium sized and hanging side by its cheeks. The teeth of the dog should meet in scissor bite and it should have fluid gait. The tail of the dog is short but if it is long, then it should be customarily docked.
Size and Weight
Male breed stands at a height of 18 to 20 inches and female breed should stand at a height of 17 to 19 inches. The average weight of the breed should be 40 pounds.
Coat and Color
The dog has double layer of coat. Topcoat should be long, fluffy and frizzy while undercoat should be soft, dense and smooth. Apart from body, the dog’s face, legs and ears are profusely covered with hair. It comes in many colors like white, grey, black and brown.
- Personality – Pons are independent thinker as they used to take decision on their own while herding or guarding flocks of sheep. Even today, their traits of herding sheep are still intact in them. They might not like to be told what to do or what not to do. But a firm leader knows how to teach mannerism and obedience to dog. It remains high spirited and affectionate with its family members but they are intolerant of strangers. The dog remains steady tempered inside home only if it has been exhausted before bringing it inside.
- Behavior – They were bred to work hard in field. The dog should be engaged in some meaningful activity whether herding or guarding else they may find their own source of pleasure and workout by being destructive. They are well behaved inside home if properly exercised. They tend to be playful with kids but may not like neighbor’s kids. Constant socialization of sheep dog is necessary so that they learn to discriminate between welcoming and non-welcoming guest. This dog also makes effective guard dog and vigilant watchdog.
- Activities Requirement – They need lot physical as well as mental stimulation to stay happy. Allow the dog to run as much as it wants. They use their mind as much as body, so give them challenging task to do. The dog’s mind should always be preoccupied with interesting games. Pons love when they are given responsible job for their family.
- Trainability – This breed tends to be extremely intelligent and it will not leave opportunity to outsmart you by thinking ahead of you. Be firm yet gentle on them. Establish leadership in dog’s mind with calm and assertive manner. The dog responds well to approbation, praise and treats. Ongoing socialization and obedience training are must for them.
Small puppy needs 4 bowls of food in a day. When it becomes adult providing two times light meal is best for them. This breed also loves fruits, vegetables, cottage cheese and boiled eggs. You can give combination of dry to wet foods for your dog.
The dog lives up to 10 to 12 years of age.
The dog is hypoallergenic in nature. Health concerns of the dog include,
- Progressive retinal atrophy
- Sensitive to drugs like – ivermectin
Grooming the dog is a hectic task. While some opt to trim its hair, some leave it to grow else dog can lose it unique appearance. The fluffy coat tends to be dirt and mats magnet so it is important to brush its coat followed by combing twice a day.
Wipe the dog’s face with warm water after it has eaten food or drank water. Other process of grooming like trimming its nails, brushing its teeth and checking its ears are common like other dog breeds.
The dog can live in any climate. It is suitable for apartment life provided you give it exercise and attention which it requires.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is a hypoallergenic breed and it sheds minimal.
- It is excellent watch dog as well as guard dog.
- They make perfect companion to active people.
- Grooming the dog is a tedious task.
- It tends to be dominant with other animals.
- It has a mind of its own and it doesn’t like to take order. Only suitable for experienced owner who knows how to handle such kind of dogs.