The Puli is a medium sized dog with long and shaggy coat which resembles dreadlock. It has been sheep herding dog in Hungary since inception. It is also referred to as bouncing spring because of its boundless energy and rambunctious nature.
The dog can easily cross over a fence of 6 ft. so make sure you have high fences in backyard. This breed is insatiably curious and it keeps on sniffing in the house in search of fun and thrill. The dog is wary of strangers and may react defensively so intensive socialization at an early age is required for the breed.
Because of high prey drive, it will chase small animals. They are playful with dogs of its own size but show dominance towards small dogs. This breed is meant for experienced owners only who know how to take charge of strong headed dogs.
If you want a low shedding dog, Puli is right breed for you but you need to take intensive care of their coat as they need regular brushing and caring. If you’re a fastidious owner, this breed is strictly not for you because they tend to suffer from “shaggy dog syndrome” (messy eaters and drinkers).
Table of Contents
There are many speculations made about this breed. Few believe that the dog is a descendant of 6000 years old breed of Hungary which looked similar to Puli.
While some archaeologists also believe that it is a latest developed breed from Tibetan terrain. Pulis were used by Hungarian ranchers and farmers for herding sheep. They also used them as guard dog and watchdog.
- The breed belongs to Hungary and is a sheep dog.
- It is fearless, energetic, lively and high spirited dog.
- The lifespan of this breed is 12-16 years.
- It stands at a height of 41-46 cm.
- The dog weighs around 11-16 kg.
- It comes in black, white, cream, silver, grey and brown colors.
- The average price of this breed is $1000 – $1200 USD.
- The dog is okay for apartment but being an energetic breed an average sized yard is perfect for it.
- The dog is a frequent barker.
- It is a suitable breed for kids who know how to respect dog’s boundary.
- The dog is okay with dogs of its size. They tend to chase small animals.
- The dog needs daily dose of exercise to stay healthy and happy.
- It is a hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog sheds negligibly but its coat is high maintenance.
- It is suspicious of strangers and makes reliable guard dog.
- The dog tends to be independent, hard willed and difficult to train.
Puli is a profusely build up dog which is covered from long dreadlocks from head to toe. Its coat even reaches to the ground. The dog has almond shaped eyes of dark brown colors. It has v-shaped ears which hangs down and blends with the rest of the coat. It has long and straight muzzle.
The dog has well developed nose with two broad nostrils. It gives the dog keen sense of smell. The tail of the dog curls over its back. This breed has the perfect agility needed to herd sheep in the field.
Size and Weight
The male breed stands at a height of 17 inches and female breed stands at height of 16 inches. This breed typically weighs around 25 to 40 pounds.
Coat and Color
The dog has long, thick human dreadlocks like coat. It takes almost 4 years to fully develop its coat. It is doubly coated and can live in any kind of climate. The dog comes in in black, white, cream, silver, grey and brown colors.
- Personality – The Puli was developed to work hard in fields by herding and guarding sheep and other livestock of farmers. Puli are recommended to those owners who can commit to dog’s exercise requirements. As the dog cannot differentiate between evil and good people so it is necessary to provide time to time socialization to this breed.
- Behavior – First and foremost, it is a herding dog. In the absence of sheep, it will herd human. Children should play under the supervision of adult member of the family. The dog can inadvertently bit the heels of children while playing. Toddler and small children should be taught to not mess with dog’s coat. They are friendly with family member but are always suspicious of strangers because of their guarding nature. The dog is also an escape artist and can easily climb fence of 6 feet. Cleanliness obsessed people may not like the dog because everything from food to water or dirt get trapped in its coat. They also have a habit of chasing. Never keep them off leash in public area.
- Activities Requirements – The dog should be vigorously exercise to maintain its happiness, health and steady temperament. If they are not involved in herding activities, provide them agility exercise. As they are intelligent dogs, so playing fetch and catch games can bore them. An under exercised or bored Puli can become destructive.
- Trainability – Puli are independent dogs that trust their own instincts rather than humans. Training them can be challenging. Start their training as soon as you bring it home. Once you have established leadership over the dog, it become easy to teach them basic obedience lessons.
Being a large energetic dog, its requirement of protein and fat are more. Make sure to give premium quality food to your dog. Fresh water should always be kept alongside the dog’s den.
The lifespan of this breed is 12-16 years.
The dog is hypoallergenic breed. It is a healthy breed and is not prone to any serious health issues. Common health problems related to all dogs are – epilepsy, deafness, cataracts, allergies, hip and elbow dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy, thyroid, diabetes etc.
They shed less but its coat requires extensive care. Till the time the dog doesn’t develop full cords, it should be brushed, combed and bathed daily. Once it has developed its cords, bath it twice a month by soaking its cords in warm water to remove dirt and debris.
A full corded coat doesn’t require bruising or combing. It is advisable to dry the dog naturally because using dyer can destroy its hair follicles. Other grooming process like brushing its teeth, cleaning its ears and trimming nails is same as other dog breeds.
The dog thrives in a house accompanied with yard which fenced high. It thrives well in a cold or warm climate.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are highly protective in nature and a great watch dog.
- The dog is hypoallergenic and suitable for people suffering from allergies.
- They are considered as strongest herding dog.
- Grooming its coat is a hectic task. The dog takes almost a day to get dry.
- They tend to be aggressive and destructive in nature when their exercise needs are not fulfilled.
- They are wary of strangers and can also attack them.