Small Munsterlander is born for hunting. If you are not a hunter, then you need to give them other ways to stimulate physically and mentally. The dog has a knack for accomplishing challenging tasks. It is remarkable in tracking, pointing, and retrieving prey in water and on land. It can hunt in both saltwater and freshwater and can withstand rough terrain and harsh climate. Apart from being a hunter, they are affectionate and caring family dogs.
Their heart sings when they are with children and make close bonds with the animals of their group. Do not get confused with its name because it is a medium-sized breed. It is vital to provide a spacious room or yard for this breed. They thrive well in an open environment where they can wander freely. They are extremely intelligent and highly trainable but a firm leader can only handle this breed.
Table of Contents
Small Munsterlander Origin
The Small Munsterlander breed was developed in the 19th century in the city of Munster, Germany. The breed got its name from the city of its origin. People wanted an all-purpose water dog that can hunt in freshwater as well as saltwater.
It is a result of crossbreeding German Longhaired Pointers with Longhaired Spaniels. It became extinct after world war II because of a lack of food but was later revived in its native place. Today Small Munsterlander is the most lovable hunt dog in European countries.
Small Munsterlander Characteristics
- Small Munsterlander breed belongs to Germany and is a sporting dog.
- It can retrieve, point, track and hunt in water as well as land.
- Their coat is of brown and white color which sheds moderately.
- The tail of the dog is incredible as it helps it in swimming.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- They are suitable for families with children.
- They form strong bonds with other animals of their size.
- They are suitable for apartments as they need plenty of space and exercise to be happy.
- They live around 12 to 13 years of age.
- They weight around 18–27 kg.
- Their height is 50–58 cm.
- They are intelligent, trainable, willful and lovable pets.
- The breed should be allowed to hunt.
- The price of the breed is $800 – $1000.
- The breed can thrive in any climate and terrain.
- They give around 4 to 6 puppies.
It is a medium-sized breed with a sturdily built-up body. It is a balanced dog with well-proportioned features. The dog has a feathered tail that is elegantly carried in a horizontal position. Its head is wide with wedge-shaped muzzle. Ears are long and densely covered with long wavy hair. Its eyes are almond-shaped and keen to look. The color of the nose and eyes are brown. Overall, it has a kind expression on its face.
Size and Weight
The height of the male breed is 20.5 to 22 inches while that of the female breed is 19.5 to 21 inches. This breed should weigh around 38 to 58 pounds irrespective of the gender.
Coat and Color
It is a thick double-coated breed. The outer coat is flat and coarse to touch. Undercoat is smooth and soft to touch. Its ears contain long wavy hair which makes it look elegant. Featherings are found in tail, thighs, and front legs. The dog’s ground should be solid white with dark brown patches.
1. Personality – The dog loves hunting. It should be allowed to showcase its talent. Nothing makes it happier than hunting. Its heart thumps with joy when it assists its owner in hunting. The dog has a magnetic personality. It is a well-balanced dog with strong muscles. The dog possesses endurance and stamina.
It is also light on its feet. It is a cheerful dog that loves to play. The dog loves challenging tasks that involved the usage of its brain. It has incredibly powerful scenting ability and can even be used for detecting narcotics. The dog has a passion to work and will never like to sit idle.
2. Behavior – They are sweet-tempered dogs. Inside home, they remain calm and romp only at the provided location like yard or room. It adores children of all ages and kind to them. It is a highly sociableanimal that doesn’t mind making other animal friends and that includes even cats. They are most likely to welcome strangers.
It is clear from their behavior that they do not make good watchdogs. The dog remains quiet inside home and will take out a special kind of voice only at the hunting spot to warn the hunter of prey. It has exceptional skills in pointing, retrieving, tracking and hunting prey in water. It is also a trustworthy dog who can risk its own life to protect the owner.
3. Activities Requirement – The dog needs thrill and excitement in his life. Being a sporting dog, he has enormous energy and zest for work. Take this dog on hunting and swimming. Small Munsterlander can be your running, hiking, jogging and travel partner. The dog is bestowed with both agility and endurance. If you are not providing it hunting opportunity, enroll your dog in a dog’s course which involves stamina and speed.
4. Trainability – No doubt that the breed is highly trainable but a firm voice is needed to control and establish leadership. As they are powerful and strong dogs, so a timid, weak and novice owner can easily be defeated by this dog. The dog is a good listener and is known for following commands,so comparatively it is moderate to train.
The dog requires high calories and nutrients in its diet. Strong and powerful dogs that are hyperactive should eat food containing fiber, proteins, carbohydrates, fat and minerals. Make sure that you feed a raw diet to your dog as they are carnivores’ animals.
They live around 12 to 13 years.
Small Munsterlander is not a hypoallergenic breed. The dog is a healthy breed with no major health problems. But that doesn’t mean you should avoid a visit to the vet for a regular checkup. No living beings are immune to hereditary diseases that include dogs too. You need to take care that it doesn’t develop dry skin in winter and water doesn’t enter its ears while swimming.
The dog is easy to groom. If it doesn’t go for hunting, brush its coat once a week else regular brushing is required to remove debris and mats. It sheds moderately and regular brushing can also control its hair fall. Brush its teeth daily to keep its teeth and gums healthy. Check its ears weekly for any signs of infection, wax build-up or irritation. Trim its nails if it makes clicking sound while hitting on the floor. Bath the dog as required.
The dog can thrive in any kind of climate and environment. The apartment with the yard is suitable for the breed.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- This dog is a perfect choice for hunters as it can work both in freshwater and saltwater.
- It is a compassionate and affectionate family pet.
- The dog can adapt itself to any kind of climate and terrain.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- It is not a good choice as a watchdog.
- It is a hyperactive dog that needs plenty of exercise.