Japanese Spitz is a playful, energetic and charismatic dog. if you’re a novice owner and looking for a dog that is easy to train and is naturally obedient, Japanese Spitz is the right choice for you. This dog thrives on human contact. It is a companion dog so it wants its family member always around itself.
The dog likes to participate in family activities. It wants to be the center of attraction of every people. As they are eager to please owner, so they pick up new skills and training lessons quickly. Nothing makes the dog happier than being the reason for happiness on human’s face.
It is patient and playful around kids. The dog is not extremely vocal but with its loud and forceful bark, it makes excellent watchdog. The dog is suitable for living in an apartment but you need to provide it regular exercise and chance to run freely in a safe environment.
Its thick snow white coat is another reason that people get attracted to this dog. It’s a people magnet. With strangers it may remain aloof but with time dog accept them with all heart. Today this breed is one most popular breed in USA and other European countries.
Japanese Spitz Origin
Japanese Spitz originated in 19th century. Japanese wanted a small version of Samoyed breed. Breeders mixed the Samoyed, the White German Spitz and the American Eskimo to get desired breed. The resultant breed was cuddly, playful and loyal dog.
Japanese Spitz Characteristics
- The breed belongs to Japan and is a companion dog.
- It is also a therapy dog. Doctors recommend this breed to people suffering from anxiety, loneliness and depression.
- Life expectancy of this breed is 10-16 years.
- It is an affectionate, lovable, playful and proud dog.
- It is a small dog, height of the dog is 30-38 cm.
- Weight of the dog is 5-10 kg.
- The dog comes in pure white color.
- Average cost of the puppy is $500 – $800 USD.
- The dog thrives in cold temperature.
- Being a companion dog, it needs the warmth of human.
- The dog can happily live in an apartment provided you fulfill its daily dose of exercise.
- It is a suitable breed for kids. They can even tolerate boisterous play of kids.
- If the dog is raised with other animals of house, it tends to be friendly with them.
- The dog sheds averagely throughout the year. Brush its coat daily to control the dead hairs.
- The dog is easy to train. Be gentle and consistent in training them.
- They do not make suitable guard dog.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
The dog looks similar to Samoyed. It has stocky which is covered in thick white fur. The dog also has a mane around its neck. It has a wedged shaped head with short and pointed muzzle. Its lips, nose and eyes rims should be of black color.
Its tail is plump and bushy and should be carried over its back. It has somewhat square body with deep chest. Ears of the dog are small, pointed and set atop its head. Overall expression on its face is watchful, friendly and cute.
Size and Weight
In Japan, the ideal size of male breed is 30–38 cm and female breed should be slightly smaller. In USA the ideal size of the male breed is 34–37 cm and female should be 30–34 cm. Weight of the dog should be 5-10 kg.
Coat and Color
Japanese Spitz dog has abundant, thick coat which is pure white in color. Top coat should be long and stands out of inner coat. Inner coat should be profuse and smooth. A dog should have longer hair around its neck.
- Personality – They are cheerful dogs that love play and cuddle. It is a perfect family dog. It will care for you, will make you smile through comical activities and will be there for you through thick and thin. It is easy going breed. Inside home, they remain calm but they crave outside environment where they can run freely. Despite being small, it is courageous and will risk its life to protect you. However, they don’t make suitable guard dog because of their size. The dog is lively, high spirited and hell bent on making their owner happy.
- Behavior – They are cool headed dogs with no signs of aggression. They adore children and love to play with them. They even approach the toddlers with care and consideration. With strangers and guests, they are wary. But as the time pass, they will even befriend them. It is always alert and makes perfect watchdog. The dog tends to be dominant with other breeds. Make sure to socialize it an early age.
- Activities Requirement – The dog enjoys outdoor games. It loves to play with ball. Give your dog opportunity to run freely. The dog requires sufficient physical and mental stimulation to remain happy and healthy. A bored dog will make the home a mess to live in. So it is imperative to fulfill its exercise requirement
- Trainability – The dog loves to woo humans. It is comparatively easy to train. It is sharply intelligent and will learn any tricks taught by you. The dog is eager to learn new skills and tricks so that it can impress its owner.
Daily recommended food is 1 to 1.5 cups divided into two separate meals. Feed premium quality dry kibble made from healthy and high-grade ingredients. You can use kibble toppers like wet canned food or broth. Formulate diet for small to medium-sized breed with moderate energy and exercise needs. Dietary need changes from puppy to adult and senior ages, consult your vet for advice.
Japanese Spitz is a compact dog that gains weight, to prevent obesity follow the recommendations of serving size. Do not leave food all the time and provide fresh clean water around the dog to prevent dehydration.
The dog lives up to 10-16 years.
It is not a hypoallergenic dog. They are generally healthy breeds and may not suffer from a few genetic health issues. The dog is prone to patellar luxation and runny eyes. Recommended tests are annual patella evaluation. Purchase breed from recognized breeders to avoid health issues in dogs as they screen their stock for health risks.
Japanese Spitz has a profuse white coat that looks more grooming needs but have low grooming requirements entire year except for seasonal change. Their coat is Teflon like, which repels dirt and debris.
Weekly brushing is needed throughout the year along with an occasional bath. Brushing is necessary to prevent knots and matting. They blow the entire undercoat twice a year and it takes about 2-3 weeks to shed entirely.
During seasons, daily brushing is recommended to remove fur and to minimize hair on furniture and other parts of the home. They have dry skin compared to other breeds, frequent bathing may irritate skin and strip off natural oils, hence bath once per season. If they get muddy, allow it to dry and brush it out.
Brush teeth often to keep gums healthy and to prevent tartar buildup and trim nails once a month. Check ears for redness, bad odor weekly, and clean with a cotton ball dampened in balanced pH solution provided by the vet.
It is a perfect breed for apartment and urban area. The dog thrives in cold environment. Much precaution has to be taken in summer season.
- Snow white
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is a perfect dog for family. It is a cool headed breed which is easy to manage.
- The dog is highly trainable and can be trained easily.
- It is a suitable breed for owners who have no or less experience in owning dogs.
- The dog sheds a lot.
- It is not meant for people who are accustomed to sedentary lifestyle.
- The dog is heat sensitive.