The Lagotto Romagnolo hails from Italy. Its name is originated from Italian word meaning- “Lake Dog from Romagna”. It is a medium sized muscular dog that is highly prized for its water retrieving abilities. The dog is also a truffle hunter. The dog has thick curly coat and webbed feet that helps it in swimming efficiently.
Lagotto is also considered as oldest water dog from which other water breeds have been originated. If you are asthmatic patient or suffering from allergies, this breed is the right choice for you because it is hypoallergenic. They shed negligibly and require once a week combing.
The breed is suitable for active owners because they are indefatigable. They love to run, play and swim and crave for outside environment. They are extremely gentle breeds and suitable for novice owners because of their sweet temperament. They get easily attached to their family members and want their company every minute of every hour.
Lagotto Romagnolo Origin
Depiction of Lagotto has been made in literature history books which date back to 1400s. If we go by the information in book, then this breed comes from Romagna, Italy. The primary job of this breed was to act as water retriever in lakes of Romagna. Eventually when the lake got dried, they were used to search truffles in the hills of that Italy.
The dog has extraordinary sense of smell and is immensely concentrated in activities related to searching and tracking. Presently they are also domesticated for companionship purpose because of their affectionate and friendly disposition.
Lagotto Romagnolo Characteristics
- The breed belongs to Romagna region of Italy. They were used as water retriever and truffle hunter.
- It is an intelligent, happy, trainable and social breed.
- Lifespan of this breed is 14-16 years.
- It weighs around 13-16 kg.
- Height of the breed is 43-49 cm.
- The dog comes in black-tan, grey, brown and white colors.
- Average price of this breed is $500 – $700 USD.
- The dog is suitable for apartment only if it properly exercises. Though an average sized yard would be best for it.
- They bark frequently but it can be controlled through training.
- They are cheerful and playful around kids of all ages.
- They have pack mentality which means that they can exits peacefully with other dogs at homes.
- The dog is hypoallergenic.
- The dog sheds negligibly. You are supposed to trim its hair periodically to keep it neat and tidy.
- The dog is obedient and is highly trainable.
- They make wonderful watchdog.
- They are extremely clever minded and loves to play hide and seek.
- They are excellent swimmers.
They are small to medium sized dog with water friendly coat. The breed has a muscular body which is solidly built up. They have well proportionate bodily features and overall the dog gives the impression of strength and endurance.
The dogs have round eyes and floppy shaped ears. The have long tail which gets carried in an upward direction towards the end. The dog’s teeth should meet in a scissor bite. Topline of the dog is strong and leveled.
Size and Weight
Ideal height of the male breed is 43–48 cm and female’s height is 41–46 cm. Male breed weighs around 13–16 kg and female breed weighs around 11–14 kg.
Coat and Color
The dogs have hypoallergenic hair and water resistant coat. Their undercoat is soft and dense which keeps them warm. Topcoat is curly, wooly which helps the dog to shed water easily. Dogs come in brown, off-white, white, grey, and tan colors.
- Personality – This breed is energetic, playful and intelligent. They are immensely dedicated to their family members and stick close to them. With strangers they are wary and tend to bark at them. They absolutely adore kids and love to play with them. If properly socialized, they will love to have another dog as pet inside home. They are adaptable and easy to train because they are keen listeners. They also make excellent therapy dogs and guide dogs for depression and blind people respectively.
- Behavior – Apart from water retrieving the dog excels at rally, agility, and dog’s related completion. They have keen sense of smell and are also used for searching truffles. The dog tends to get destructive in nature if its exercise needs are not being fulfilled. It is important to devote ample amount of time to this breed because they are also prone to separation anxiety. They also have habit of digging in search of adventure so make sure to provide it separate area to dig so that it doesn’t destroy flowers bed. The dog is easy going and will not show aggression at all.
- Activities Requirement – This breed was bred for working so provide it ample opportunity to work and stimulate itself. Along with body, mind is also required to be exercised. The dog loves puzzle game, hide and seek, fetch games etc. Also provide it opportunity to swim and retrieve objects from pool.
- Trainability – They are super easy to train as they love to please owners. They respond to every command well and strive to learn the skills taught to them quickly. They are highly trainable and can learn anything taught to them. Positive reinforcement will act as catalyst to train them.
This dog’s meal should be broken into 3 to 4 small meals because they are likely to suffer from bloat. You can feed this dog poultry, fish, lamb, avocado and wheat.
The dogs can live up to 14 to 16 years.
It is hypoallergenic breed. Breeds health concern may include ear infection, hip dysplasia, cataract, hypothyroidism and progressive retinal atrophy.
This breed sheds little to negligible amount of hair. It is advisable to let the dog’s hair to dry naturally rather than using blow dryer. After the swimming exercise, clean the dog’s ear and joints because these are the areas where they easily develop infection and fungus.
Trim the dog as needed to keep it in good position. You can also clip its hair to avoid tangles. It is imperative to remove mats and debris from its body because they get easily trapped in curly hair. Do not forget to brush its teeth twice a week.
The dog can live in apartment provided you fulfill its exercise needs. They can thrive in most climates.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog is hypoallergenic which means it is suitable for allergic patient.
- They are excellent water retrievers and truffle hunters.
- They make wonderful family dog because of their sweet and friendly temperament.
- They also work as guide dog for blind and disable peoples.
- The dog lacks aggression and fierceness to be effective guard dogs.
- They are not suitable for lazy owners who follow sedentary lifestyle.
- They need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation to stay happy.
- The dog tends to suffer from separation anxiety.