The Portuguese Pointer is the ultimate gundog because of its incredible hunting abilities coupled with sweet nature. It proves a great asset to the bird hunter. This dog excels itself in all the spheres of life. Apart from hunting, it makes excellent companion dog to retired and people with flexible work schedule.
It is a reliable dog for kids as it approaches them with care and patience. For this breed, daytime is strictly meant to work hard outside. At nights you can find it cuddling and relaxing. This breed needs space to thrive and live freely.
If you want a breed for guarding, this is not the right choice of dog for you. It is too kind with people to be guard dogs. They are amiable with strangers but that doesn’t make them poor watchdogs. They make vigilant watchdog because of their attentive nature.
The dog looks like blend of Boxer and a Yellow Lab. Their unusual shape of muzzle gives them distinctive look. Overall it is a happy dog that will fill your house with positive energy.
Portuguese Pointer Origin
It is a 1000 years old breed of Portuguese which was particularly used as bird dog. The dog was excellent in pointing Partridge. Few archeologists believe that Portuguese Pointer is descendant of dogs which were used in hunting Falcons. Another theory is that it is a direct descendant of Iberian Hound which was brought to Portuguese thousand years ago.
Through the paintings and scriptures, it has drawn that this breed was earlier owned by royal people. It became prized possession of royal people and they used to gift this breed to kings and queens of other countries. Experts believe that Portuguese Pointer played an important role in development of European gun dogs and pointer dogs.
Portuguese Pointer Characteristics
- The breed came from Portuguese and is particularly a bird dog.
- It is sweet, friendly, kind, fearless, and calm breed.
- The lifespan of this breed is 12-14 years.
- The height of the dog is 51–61 cm.
- It weighs around 20–27 kg.
- The dog comes in yellow, white-brown, light brown, dark brown and white-yellow colors.
- The average price of the dog is $800 - $1000 USD.
- The dog does best in yard or garden. It needs space to express itself.
- It is a quiet breed and it doesn’t bark frequently.
- It is an animal friendly dog.
- The dog is suitable for families with kids.
- The dog needs vigorous exercise on daily basis.
- This breed is not hypoallergenic.
- It sheds average and has infrequent grooming needs.
- The dog is easy to train and is suitable for novice owners who can commit to provide daily dose of exercise to this breed.
Portuguese Pointer is a medium sized breed with muscular and well proportionate body. The dog’s face is squared shape with broad and wide muzzle. Its skull is slightly arched and minor folds of skin on face. Its eyes are brown colored and expressive.
Jaw should be strong and teeth should meet in perfect bite. The dog’s neck is arched with well angled shoulders. Its back sloped a little towards hind legs. Legs of the dog are straight, muscular and well formed. The tail of the dog should taper towards the end. The ears of the dog are flat, wide and floppy shaped.
Size and Weight
The male breed stands at a height of 51–61 cm and weighs around 20–27 kg. The female breed should stand at a height of 48–56 cm and weighs around 16–22 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has elegant looking short coat. The coat lies flat to its body and is frizzy to touch except on forehead and ears which feels like velvet on touch. The dog comes in colors like yellow, white-brown, light brown, dark brown and white-yellow colors.
- Personality - The dog is extremely affectionate and lovable. They even treat strangers like their old, lost friend. Few dogs can be shy towards guests but with passage of time, they even form close relationship with them. This breed is generally calm and composed inside home and hardy and persistent on hunting field. This breed is incredibly gentle and has heart of gold. Physically correcting the dog or talking with it in harsh voice is sheer cruelty.
- Behavior - This breed makes perfect companion to bird hunter because of their ability to point, retrieve and hunt. They have “do not give up” attitude which makes them one of the most bird dog of this era. Because they form close bond with humans, they are prone to suffer from separation anxiety. Make sure you give enough love and care to the pet. The dog will bark to let you know of strangers but do not expect them to be guard dogs. They especially adore children and can play till hours with them. Even toddlers are safe with this dog.
- Activities Requirement - As the dog was bred to hunt and work so they should be provided with intensive physical workout to satiate their desire to work. Long hours of walking, running will make the dog happy. Once the dog feels, it is done for the day it will happily submit itself to owner to take it inside home.
- Trainability - They are breeze to train. Portuguese Pointer are versatile dogs and can be trained to do anything. They love to make owners proud by quickly grasping tricks or skills taught to them. Make sure to provide them socialization lesson so that they do not turn into a shy dog.
An adult breed should be fed twice a day but how much to feed your dog depends upon its level of activity. Bones, meat, lamb, beef are the food item that should be given to this feed. Fresh vegetables and fruits can be fed to it so that your dog achieves optimum health.
The life expectancy of this breed is 12-14 years.
The dog is not hypoallergenic. It is a healthy breed with few health concerns like kidney problems, eye problems, heart problems, arthritis, hip dysplasia and osteosarcoma. To avoid heredity disease in dog, choose a puppy after doing background check of its parents.
The dog is easy to groom because of its short coat. Brush its coat weekly to avoid lose hairs, debris and mats. Other grooming process like brushing its teeth, cleaning its ears and trimming its nails are similar to other breeds of dog. Bath the dog occasionally as it is a naturally clean dog.
House accompanied with yard is suitable place for this breed. It can live in any type of climate.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog makes wonderful family companion because of its affectionate nature.
- It is extremely social animal that is peaceful towards other animals.
- The dog makes excellent pointer dog.
- It is not hypoallergenic breed.
- It doesn’t make guard dog.
- The dog is prone to separation anxiety.