The black and tan coonhound is a versatile dog that outperforms in field and remains composed inside home. Out of all the dogs, black and tan Coonhound is the most sought after because of its supreme sense of smell and outstanding hunting skills. It can track a cold smell which means it can scent the trail of long gone animals or birds. It can single handedly take down raccoon, lion, bear and deer. Usually this breed is preferred by hunters but it also makes great family dog because of its laid-back and easy going attitude inside home. This breed has also the skills of a vigilant watchdog. It takes out deep throat bark as soon as it sees strangers. But the dog is gentle enough to bite or attack them. It is well adjusted and friendly towards other dogs and can even be buddies with cats. The only drawback of owning this breed is that they have a hound odor. It drools after drinking or eating and sheds heavily. So if you’re ready to accept its drawback, the dog makes mesmerizing addition to family.
Table of Contents
This breed was developed in mountainous region of southern America. The red and tan coonhound is a result of cross between Bloodhound and the black and Tan Virginia Foxhound. It was particularly developed to track raccoons through the tree tops. Being a powerful and strong dog, it can hunt big animals too. The black and tan coonhound was the first coonhound breed to be recognized by American Kennel club.
Black and Tan Coonhound Characteristics And Information
- The breed belongs to America and is a coonhound
- It is an easy going, lovable, friendly and loyal breed
- The life expectancy of this breed is 10-12 years
- The dog stands at a height of 58-68 cm
- It weighs around 45-64 kg
- The dog comes in black and tan color
- The average price of this breed is $300 – $400 USD
- The dog is adaptable to every kind of temperature
- It is a suitable breed for apartment as it tends to have a laid back attitude and is happy relaxing at home without moving much. But you do have to provide spacious place for its living as it is a large dog
- Like all hounds it needs human companionship and exercise, though exercise needs are mild
- Training can be a moderately difficult as they tend to be independent minded and get easily distracted by smell
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed
- The dog sheds a lot. Be ready to vacuum often
- Grooming needs of the dog is moderate. It needs regular brushing and its mouth should be wiped with wet cloth as it drools a lot
- It has friendly demeanor towards kids and other dogs.
The black and tan coonhound is a big dog having muscular body. The dog has large head with strong and blunt muzzle. It has low hanging ears which is large and flat in shape. Its nose is wide with drooping lips. The dog has hazel colored eyes which gives melancholic expression to it. They have effortless gait with leveled top line. Generally this breed dogs have equal length and height.
- Size and Weight
The ideal height of the male breed is 23 to 27 inches and weighs around 75 to 100 pounds. Females are slightly shorter than males and weigh less.
- Coat and Color
The black and tan coonhound has short, dense and oily coat. The oil in its coat protects it from harsh climatic conditions and thorns in the hunting field. The base color of the dog is black while tan marking is on the muzzle, eyebrows point, chest and tail.
- Personality – The black and tan coonhound has a pleasant personality. It makes great friend and companion to people of every age, be it elderly people or young kids. They are energetic and playful at puppyhood but when they reach maturity they prefer to relax. They are tolerant of children and never dominant however they might not play when they become old. This dog loves to sleep next or lie next to people it loves.
- Behavior – Like all hounds, this dog is howler and it drools after eating or drinking. They become restless and destructive when left alone for longer period of time. Coonhound should always be kept on lease at public places because they get excited by the smell of animals and tend to chase them forgetting about traffic or their master’s command. Their cravings for that animal will not stop until they’ve found and killed it. Inside home, they remain inactive and makes wonderful companion to family who needs a hunting dog which is also a couch potato.
- Activities requirements – Despite being large and powerful, the exercise need of the dog is not so demanding. It is happy to relax at home or curl beside its owner feet. Take the dog daily for morning or evening walk so that it can burn its excess energy.
- Training – You need to be smart and intelligent just like your dog. If you want the dog to be submissive, prove it that you’re supreme. Once the dog accept you as leader, it becomes easy to teach them basic canine manners. As they are naturally well mannered so not much effort is required to put in.
Monitor the dog’s food so that it doesn’t get fat. It is not so active dog but being large in size, you’re supposed to feed it twice a day. Do not leave food on its plate all the time. Apart from barf diet, feed it carrot, yoghurt and fresh vegetables like cucumber.
The dog lives up to 10-12 years.
This breed is not hypoallergenic. The dog is healthy and hardy with no major health issues. It is a large sized dog so it may suffer from hip dysplasia in old age. The dog has heavy ears which is prone to ear infection. It is advisable to clean its ears with vet approved solution.
The dog sheds constantly throughout the year. Brush its coat regularly to avoid dead hairs and debris. Brushing followed by combing will help to distribute the natural oil found in its coat. Bathe the dog as needed, as excess bathing can strip the natural oil found in its skin. The dogs have heavy and large ears which do not allow air to pass making the dog prone to painful ear infection. Their ears should be checked regularly. As the hound breed is known for its drooling wipe its mouth with wet towel as required.
The dog is suitable for apartment living as it is not so energetic and active inside home. It has weather resistant coat which helps it to withstand any kind of climate.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog is gentle and calm in nature, makes ideal dog for families
- It is friendly and tolerable towards other dogs and kids
- The dog is an excellent hunter.
- It drools a lot at mealtime
- It sheds heavily, not an ideal dog for fastidious housekeeper
- It requires equally strong and intelligent man for training.