The black mouth cur is a powerful dog that hails from Southern United States. It is an all-rounder dog that can be used for herding livestock, protecting estates, tracking and hunting games. The dog is strong, yet sensitive in nature. It doesn’t respond well to harsh training methods or physical correction. It loves to work alongside humans and makes great family dog because of its easy going nature. The dog is excellent with kids but it is not suitable for toddlers because it can play roughly with them. Inexperienced owners or owners who could not be committed to its vigorous exercise regime are not suitable for this breed. The dog has been named so because of its characteristic black color which covers its muzzle and lips. The dog is extremely intuitive and understands human nature well. It interacts gently with people and other dogs but if it suspects danger or unusual behavior, it may respond aggressively with them. This breed is famous in United States but it is rare to rest of the world. If you’re not from USA, the waiting time to get this breed can be longer.
Black Mouth Cur Origin
Table of Contents
The origin of black mouth cur breed is unknown but some archeologists believe that the dog originated from Southern USA particularly Mississippi or Tennessee. Studies have proved that the dog is a descendant of European and Asian “cur dogs”. English mastiff also played a major role in its development. The settlers who were engaged in farming and hunting used the dog for herding cattle, protecting their farms and carrying out hunting of wild animals with them.
Black Mouth Cur Characteristics & Information
- The dog belongs to United States and is categorized as hound breed
- It is a multi-talented dog that can be used for herding, protecting and hunting
- The dog is fearless, friendly, kind and protective
- The lifespan of this breed is 12-18 years
- It stands at a height of 40-64 cm
- The weight of the dog is 20-43 kg
- The dog comes in red, fawn, brindle, brown, black and yellow colors
- The average price of this breed is $300 – $500 USD
- The dog is active and needs a large sized yard in home to thrive happily
- The dog remains quiet inside home, it barks when necessary
- It tends to be tolerant and peaceful around kids and other dogs
- The dog was bred to work. This breed requires great deal of exercise on regular basis. A long run once a day is like warm up for the dog
- The dog is not hypoallergenic
- It sheds moderately
- The grooming need of the dog is low. It just needs weekly brushing
- The dog is voice sensitive. Be persistent and gentle while training them.
The black mouth cur is a well-muscled, rugged dog of medium size. The body is squarely proportioned whereas few dogs might be slightly longer than tall. The head of the dog is wide and has wide muzzle with a moderate stop. The ears of the dog are folded and set atop its head. The eyes are round and give the dog expression of kindness. The tail of the dog is set low and then gently forms a curve.
- Size and Weight
It is a medium sized dog. The ideal height of the male breed is 40-64 cm and it weighs around 20-43 kg. Female tends to be smaller in height and weigh less.
- Coat and Color
This breed has short coat which is dense and coarse to touch. The coat should be close fitting to the dog. The dog’s muzzle, lips and nose should be of characteristically black color. The dog comes in many colors like red, fawn, brindle, brown, black and yellow.
Black Mouth Cur Temperament
- Personality – It is a versatile dog that prefers spacious environment to live. It is a tenacious, tireless and hardworking dog. It is loyal, kind and protective to its family members. This breed is often described as confident, bold and trustworthy. They can be highly territorial so it is advisable to socialize your dog with numerous people and animals. Most of the dog is playful with other dogs and loves to interact with them.
- Behavior – The dog’s first love is hunting. This dog uses its nose, eyes and ears for hunting and tracking games. It is naturally disciplined in nature and doesn’t make your house mess. It is wonderful with children and loves to play with them. It makes sure that its owner is happy with it. Being a natural hunter, small animals are always under peril with this breed. It is decent with strangers but doesn’t trust them. Once they suspect danger from any human, they will not shy from attacking.
- Activities requirement – One thing is sure that this dog will make you healthy along with itself. It can be your jogging or running partner. The dog also craves to run in an open field. Exercises which involve usage of brain as well as physical energy is best for the dog. You can also play tug of war with the dog.
- Trainability – The dog requires confident master to train it. It is eager to please animal but before that, you need to prove yourself as leader of the pack. The dog learns when you teach lesson in an interesting and fun manner. Treats and appreciation acts as catalyst in its training.
The dog needs high quality diet which has more protein content. Give it boiled meat, bacon, lamb or beef to eat. They should be fed twice a day. Keep fresh water near to their area of eating.
The life expectancy of this dog is 12-18 years.
The dog is not hypoallergenic. It has a healthy lifespan with no major health problems. Minor health issues related to dogs are epilepsy, hip dysplasia, skeletal problem, ear infection and blindness.
The dog doesn’t require extensive care of its coat. It has short coat which requires only weekly grooming. The dog is naturally clean and doesn’t require frequently bathe. Weekly brush its coat to distribute natural oil found on its coat and to keep it mats and debris free. The dog’s toes are prone to get affected by thorns so, check their toes immediately after it is back from hunting. Other grooming processes like cleaning its ears, brushing its teeth and clipping its nails are same as other breeds of dogs.
The dog needs spacious apartment or house with yard to live freely. It has weather resistant coat which means it can tolerate hot and cold climate equally well.
Things To Consider Before Buying
- The dog is gentle and kind with everyone
- It is a multi-purpose dog. Based on your needs you can use the dog in any manner
- The dog has easy care coat which sheds less
- It has a healthy lifespan.
- This breed is not hypoallergenic
- It is not meant for apartment. It needs space to thrive and wander freely
- The dog has rigorous exercise demand which you have to fulfill on daily basis
- The dog requires strong and confident master for training.