Longhaired Whippets are Sighthounds, a group of dogs that hunts by sight. They have eagle like sharp eyes and can see prey from far behind. They are fearless and courageous which makes them remarkable hunters. They are bestowed with agility and stamina.
The dogs can run fast like a horse. The Longhaired Whippet is a variation of short-haired whippet. Longhaired Whippets are sociable dogs and they love interacting with other animals. They have sweet personality and are even have welcoming nature towards strangers. They are noble looking and have a dignified disposition.
The Longhaired Whippets are considered more obedient and eager to please owner than other sighthounds. They remain calm and composed insider home and respect the rules set by master. They are also suitable for obedience training and agility related completion.
Sighthounds are also used for pleasure racing. In this varieties of sighthounds participate in dog’s racing and people bid on any one of the dog. They are lovely and you will definitely cherish every moment with this breed.
Longhaired Whippet Origin
The Longhaired Whippet hails from England. It was developed by Walter Wheeler. Harvard graduate, Mr. Wheeler wanted a medium sized long hair coated dog and therefore he strived hard to create this breed. It is believed that long coated dog originated from smooth coat.
Long haired whippets also have greyhound in their bloodline. Shetland sheepdog might have also contributed in this breed’s formation. This breed is not registered by AKC because long coat gene is not supported by genetic evidence. It is one of the rare breed in the world.
Longhaired Whippet Characteristics
- The breed belongs to England and is a sighthound.
- It is a fierce hunter and is expert in hunting rabbits, wild boar, foxes etc.
- Lifespan of this dog is 12 – 15 years.
- Height of the dog is 48 – 56 cm.
- It weighs around 11 – 14 kg.
- The dog is friendly, obedient, fierce and loyal in nature.
- They do well in apartment as they are not so active inside home.
- The dogs love running and should be given opportunity to run in a secured fenced area.
- Exercise needs of the dogs are mild.
- They are tolerant and peaceful with other dogs.
- The dog is hypoallergenic.
- It has long silky hair which doesn’t shed much.
- The breed is easy to groom.
- It is a kid’s friendly dog.
- Average price of the breed is $500-$800 USD.
The breed has a noble appearance. It looks similar to smooth coated Whippet except its long coat. If the dog’s coat is trimmed, anyone would easily be confused between the two breeds. The dog is medium sized and has athletic body. The dog has elongated face with strong muzzle. The nose of the dog is well developed and is black in color.
The dog has big and expressive eyes which are of black color. Their eyes are shining and slightly protruding. It has rose shaped medium sized ears. Tail is long and is covered with feathered kind of hair. The dog has well arched neck and leveled topline. Legs of the dogs are long strong and tummy is tucked in which gives it a model like appearance.
Size and Weight
Ideal height of the male breed is 48 – 56 cm and female breed is 46 – 53 cm tall at the shoulder. Male breed weight is around 11 – 14 kg and female breed weight is around 9.1 – 11 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog is double coated. Undercoat is dense but it doesn’t give the dog bulky appearance. Topcoat is slightly wavy, long and lustrous. Featherings can be found on forelegs and tail. The dog’s face has short hair which gives it sharp facial features. The dog comes in various shades of brindle, red, black and fawn and white.
- Personality – Being a sighthound the dog has dignified personality. They are people oriented dogs and stick close to their family members. They are affectionate dogs who crave nothing but love and pampering from their family members. They make best companions to kids as they enjoy playing with them. They are well behaved dogs who know how to follow rules established for them. Like other breeds, they are also not yappy. They are inactive indoors and will not mind relaxing in the daytime. The Longhaired Whippet is truly makes great addition to family.
- Behavior – One can rarely think of any negative point about this breed. The breed is not frequent barker but will bark to make you aware of strangers. They are tolerant of other pets. In fact, they would love to have two-three whippets inside home. The dog shouldn’t be left alone for longer duration. They are obedient and will not disturb your house by running or jumping. They are also not destructive like other dogs. They are highly adaptable and can live happily in apartment. Don’t expect them to be guard dog because they are gentle natured specie who lacks aggression and dominance.
- Activities Requirement – The dog excels in running, rally and flying disc games. They love running and can run in any weather. The dog doesn’t require to do vigorous exercise as they lack endurance and strength but they should be conducted with mild exercises which is beneficial for their health and mental peace.
- Training – This breed is breeze to train. They are good listeners and followers of master. They will happily learn anything taught to them by master. This breed loves to please master and is more than willing to learn new skills.
A well-balanced diet is essential for optimum development of its health. They should be fed 250-300 grams of meat per day which should be supplemented with vegetables, flaxseed and fish oil. It is important to remove the excess visible fat from the meat like skin and bones. The dog loves fruit and considers it as a treat. Carrot, beans and cucumber are great for dogs. You can also give dog’s pasta to your pet as a treat.
Life expectancy of this dog is 12 – 15 years.
It is a hypoallergenic breed. The dog is prone to suffer from following health issues – epilepsy, cataracts, von Willebrand disease, hypothyroidism, bone fractures, patellar luxation and hip dysplasia.
Its coat is not high maintenance. To maintain the natural state of its hair, you are required to brush its coat weekly. The dog also doesn’t shed much. Do not bathe the dog excessively as that can deplete the natural oil found in its coat. Brushing its teeth, trimming its nails and cleaning ears should also be included in grooming regime.
The dog can do well in urban areas and apartments provided it is given space to walk and do sprinting exercise. They can tolerate almost any climate.
- King Kong
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They are soft natured, human pleasing dogs.
- Their exercise needs are low and suitable for not so active owners.
- They can be your perfect partner in hunting hare, fox and deer.
- The dog is not suitable for vigorous exercise.
- It doesn’t make good watchdog.
- It is prone to separation anxiety.