The Pudelpointer is a versatile dog breed that can hunt in field as well as swamps. As the name suggests, this breed is a cross between poodle and English pointer. The dog is incredibly cute and lovable, so be prepare to fall in love with it. It is brown in color with large eyes, floppy ears and moustache which add character to this dog.
Apart from hunting they excel in endurance and agility related exercise. The dog’s first love is hunting and it can hunt all day in jungle. If you’re active and adventurous owner who loves to go on trip and tours, this dog is meant for you.
This is hypoallergenic breed, suitable for people suffering from allergies or asthma. The dog makes devoted companion. It is loyal to the core and will risk its own life in protection of family. It has a heart of gold.
The breed is suitable for kids of every age. Small animals are always under threat with this dog because they have prey drive towards birds and small creatures. They even may not get along with small dogs in home.
Table of Contents
The Pudelpointer is a 19th century breed. It was developed by Baron Von Zedlitz in Germany. Baron wanted a dog with incredible hunting skills that can hunt on field and in water. He also wished a dog that excels in tracking, pointing and retrieving activities.
While possessing all these qualities, it should be devoted companion to humans. Keeping all these desired qualities in mind, he cross mated English pointer and poodle and landed up on a versatile and good hearted dog.
- The breed belongs to Germany and is a hunting dog.
- Apart from hunting, it excels in pointing, retrieving and tracking activity.
- The dog is a tireless machine; it needs ample amount of exercise to stay happy and healthy.
- The dog is good-natured, loyal, fearless, and resilient breed.
- The lifespan of this breed is 12 to 14 years.
- It stands at a height of 21 to 26 inches.
- This breed is hypoallergenic.
- The dog sheds low to moderate.
- It comes in black, brown, liver and chestnut colors.
- It is eager to please dog and is easy to train.
- The dog barks occasionally. Because of its vigilant nature it makes excellent watchdog.
- It is a suitable dog for first time dog owners because of its easy going personality.
- It is a sociable breed and suitable for home with pets.
- It has high prey drive, so small animals are under peril.
- The average price of this breed is $1000-$1500.
The Pudelpointer is a large to medium sized breed. It is predominantly solid in color which has wiry coat. The tail of the dog is docked till 2/3 length. The head of the dog is slightly wide with blunt muzzle. The dog has well-developed nose with two wide nostrils. The dog has large sized, flat and hanging ears. It legs are straight and muscular. The dog has large and expressive eyes. This breed gives the impression of a powerful and sweet dog.
Size and Weight
The ideal height of the male breed is 60–68 cm and female breed is 55–63 cm tall. The average weight of the Pudelpointer is 20–30 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog is double coated and has waterproof coat. The length of the hair is medium and the hair texture is wiry. The dog has rough and coarse upper coat; dense and soft undercoat. The dog has facial furnishings which gives it wise look. It comes in solid color of brown, chestnut, black and liver. Few dogs may have white on their chest regions.
- Personality – The Pudelpointer is a calm, loyal and faithful dog. It makes adorable addition to family because of its soft and affectionate nature towards every member. It is an eager to please breed which needs ample amount of love and attention from family. It also has protective instincts, so this dog will definitely protect you and your territory. Inside home, they remain like gentleman or lady.
- Behavior – The Pudelpointer is an all-rounder gun-dog. It can also be used in search and rescue operation. This breed is bestowed with agility, stamina and endurance. It can outperform in all dog’s sports and competition. It makes great playmate to elder children. Even the toddlers are safe with this dog. They are high tolerable dog and are patient around small kids. Because of high prey, they may chase small dogs or non-canine animals but they are gentle with dogs of its own size. This breed should never be left alone as they crave for 24 hours company of humans.
- Activities Requirement – This breed is meant for active owners who loves to lead adventurous life. You can take the dog for jog, hike or trek. It loves to swim and swimming is a great way to outlet its energy. The dog should also be given opportunity to explore open fields and pursue their passion which is hunting. Give interesting toys to the dog so that its mind also gets stimulated.
- Trainability – The dog is intelligent and loves to impress its owner. It is easy to train as it grasp skills taught it efficiently. Early socialization is necessary to make sure the dog doesn’t get timid or shy in front of new people. It also excels in obedience training.
They are happy eaters. Give them food in correct quantity. Pudelpointer will eat almost anything offered to them. Their food should be rich in proteins because they are high energetic dogs. Always keep fresh water in their area of eating.
The life expectancy of this dog is 12-14 years.
It is a hypoallergenic breed. The dog may suffer from major health issue like Mono/Bilateral Cryptorchidism. This disease affects the testicular of the dogs. Treatment is available which involves surgically removing its testicular. Other minor health concerns include entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia etc.
It is a low to average shedder dog. The dog has wiry coat, so it should be brushed twice a week to avoid mats and debris. Clip its nails with dog’s nail clipper. Use canine brush and toothpaste to brush its teeth. The dog’s ears should be checked on daily basis.
Use vet approved solution to clean its ear, do not insert anything into their ears. The dog should be bathe less, as excessive bathing can destroy the natural oil found in its coat.
The dog can live in apartment if sufficiently exercised. But keeping in mind its large size, and energy level, an average sized yard will be suitable for it. It prefers cold climate.
- Lhasa Apso – Non Sporting Dog Breed
- Picardy Spaniel – Powerful Gun Dog
- Pharaoh Hound – The National Dog Of Malta
- American Staffordshire Terrier
Pudelpointer Pet Names
Things To Consider Before Buying
- They make excellent companion to active owners. Its sweet and affectionate nature can make anyone crave for this dog.
- The dog is a versatile gun-dog. It can hunt in water as well land.
- The dog has great skills in tracking, pointing and retrieving.
- It is hypoallergenic breed.
- The dog is not meant for people who follow sedentary lifestyle.
- It needs daily dose of exercise to stay happy else it will become destructive in nature.
- You need to provide socialization to this else it may become timid or shy in front of strangers.