Scottish shepherds have used the Bearded Collie for long time as a herding breed, but their playful and carefree nature has made them popular as a family dog as well. Their energy and quick nature makes them perfect for competing in the dog sports. It is a sociable and enthusiastic and loves to romp. Bearded Collies are one of the oldest breeds of Britain. Their origins have been traced back to 1500s.
Because of their working nature, it is difficult to find the true trace of their history. But it is believed that a Polish merchant traded grain for sheep in Scotland and brought Polish Lowland Sheepdogs to herd those sheep. Scotlanders were so impressed with the herding abilities of Polish Sheepdog that they decided to breed them with the local dogs giving birth to what we know as Bearded Collies.
They were initially black in color. The name “Collie” originates from the word “coal” which was used to refer to their black coat.
Give him a well-balanced high calorie diet to cater to their energetic and active lifestyle. Too many treats can lead to obesity despite their constant activity.
This species of dog is best suited to an environment that provides enough space for its adventurous activities. A fenced environment with enough space to allow it run around is most suitable.
They are very enthusiastic dogs, which love to bounce and bark. This incessant bark helped them in shepherding even the most stubborn of the ewes. They are very active and resourceful in nature and need equally smart owners to keep up with them.
This dog has very exuberant personality. Its bouncy nature and enthusiastic bark makes it a perfect dog for herding. They love to be with people. With their happy-go-lucky and affectionate nature, they are perfect companions for children. Their bark is more like affectionate bark, rather than the threatening guard-dog bark. They are very headstrong dogs, which need a heavy hand and confident owner; else, they tend to do mischief.
Beardie is a very active dog and needs regular mental and physical activity. That is the reason it is not advisable to own Bearded Collie for small apartment owners. These dogs cannot go for long time without any activity. In case they need to be left alone, a jog or rigorous exercise is advised to keep their energy level in control.
Bearded Collies undergo four stages in their life cycle namely: puppies, adolescents,adult and senior. The puppy stage commences after gestation to 6-18 months as the dog learns to interact with humans. At the puppy stage, the dog loses his puppy fur and will grow to adult size. At this stage, he may show symptoms of being not comfortable with its new size. At the adult stage, Bearded Collies exercise more and will no longer require much time from the breeder. Finally at the senior stage, the dog begins to show signs of weakness and dies afterwards.
When they are in the wild, they fall prey to several types of carnivorous animals like lions and tigers but when they are domestically kept, humans and natural disasters remain their main predators.
Obedience training is recommended for these dogs. Firm and confident dealings with the dog will help in keeping them under control. The bearded collie needs a huge amount of care in terms of grooming and activity. They need regular exercise of both mind and body to contain their hyperactive nature. They are not suited for apartments and needs open area for exercise. They also need regular grooming because of their long hair.
The most prominent feature of their appearance is the shaggy, waterproof double coat that covers their entire body including the chin. This shaggy coat gave them the name of “Beardie”. They have long and lean body along with large head. Their coat changes colors with their age. The Bearded Collies are rather big, their height varying from 51-56 cm for females and 53-56 cm for males. They can weigh from 18 Kg to 27 Kg making them quite heavier than the average dogs.
Their shaggy coat is the highlight of their appearance. The Beardies are born with black, blue or fawn coat, which might or might not have some markings. This color fades as the dog matures and changes many times during its various growth stage. The final coat color is the mix of the coat with which it was born and the shade it has when it was a year old. They have a long and lean body with large and flat head. Their muzzle is small. Their tail is usually low unless they are too excited.
Life Span :
Bearded Collies live between 10 – 17 years with an average lifespan of 12 years. Causes of their death include old age (17.9%), cancer (23.6%) and cerebral vascular afflictions (9.4%).
Health Issues :
The Bearded Collie suffers from some of the health diseases like colonic disease, canine hip dysplasia (CHD), hypoadrenocorticism, pemphigus, and epilepsy. To analyze the kind of ailments they are suffering from, a vet may do tests of hips, elbows and eyes. The Beardies are also sensitive to the kind of food they eat and can be allergic to some of the food.
Their coat needs regular cleaning as their long hair can trap in mud, water and debris. Ensure that their coats are clipped and thinned around their bodies in order to accentuate its shape. Also, ensure that their ears are periodically shaved and do not bathe it regularly to prevent the coat from being lank.It is suitable for allergy sufferers.
Bearded Collies shed their skins once a year and weekly brushing is required during their shedding season.
Bearded Collie Characteristics :
- It is not suited for apartment life.
- It is a friendly dog and loves children.
- Beardie is famous for its antics like opening of cupboard and doors, grab things etc.
- Because of their long hair in coat, the dog sheds lot of hair especially if they are not groomed regularly.
- It needs people and can turn aggressive in absence of the company of people.
- It is not a watchdog and has friendly bark.
- It needs a large amount of grooming and space.
- It needs training else, they can end up being stubborn.
- It is expensive and needs a lot of maintenance.
- It loves to chase and nip at the things that move like children, bikes, cars, animals etc.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Bearded Collie :
Bearded Collie Information :
- The full name of this shaggy-coated dog is Bearded Collie.
- It is also known by the names like Beardie, Highland Collie, Mountain Collie, ArgleBargle etc.
- Bearded Collie originated in the Scotland by breeding of Polish Lowland Sheepdogs and local Scottish dogs.
- Beardie is a medium sized dog sized with height around 1 foot 8 inches to 1 foot 10 inches.
- This dog is categorized as Herding kind.
- It has a lifespan of 12-14 years.
- In terms of temperament, this dog is happy, playful, good-natured and very energetic.
- The female has a height of 51-53 cm.
- The male has a height of 53-56 cm.
- Their weight ranges from 18 Kg to 27 Kg.
- They can be black, blue, brown or fawn in color with white or tan markings.
- Their price can vary from $800-$1500 depending upon the geographical location.